Blood on white roses

By De Mouse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STANDARD DISCLAIMER : All the characters used in this story and the story plot are copyright to the author. Duplication of this story without the author's permission is strictly prohibited.

WARNINGS : Yaoi (duh~), a bit of mild yuri ( yeah you heard right, let's see what mouse-chan can cook up), a bit of hetero, a bit of sex (yeah, mouse-chan is going to try her hand at working a few scenes without becoming hysterical...good preparation for writing ze ending of Repeated Past..opps spoiler ^^), a LOT of vampires/demons, morbid aka lots of blood and gore, sadism, death, angst, foul language, kink/chains *smirks*, anything else that mouse-chan can throw into the fanfic that goes with the word 'twisted' and oh general madness.

WARNINGS 2 : Idea came knocking during chemistry class. God knows what vampires have to do with the ways of producing salt. Maybe it’s a punishment for reading too much Buffy the Vampire slash fics. Oh, this series (yes it's a series...another one *groans*) will go -extremely- slowly since it takes quite a bit to put mouse-chan into a morbid mood. That and the fact that Repeated Past and Life Cycle is first on Mouse-chan's list. Go figure XD

Note : Yeah, mouse-chan knows all readers skip the intro but anyway mouse-chan will repeat herself for the benefit of those who actually reads the top part. This fic deals with the 'supposedly' bad side of ...living things?. So *blinks at the straight fans* sexually ‘correct’ (supposedly) folks don't go ranting on how morally wrong mouse-chan is or anything else. She ain't listening : bite me. >P *munches on pizza*

Heaps and heaps of thanks to K-chan and Will for beta-reading. Without both of you, the readers would be wincing throughout the entire fic at the grammatical errors.

Comments and constructive criticisms can be sent to mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROLOGUE

A scream echoed on the unfeeling dark blue stone that stretched through the large hall.

There was the strong stench of blood in the air. Any normal person would have found the scene unnerving but in the room, there wasn’t anyone that could be called ‘normal’. 

Burning fires glowed from their iron stands but the endless depth that was contained in the deep blue surface greedily swallowed up their fiery light. No windows made their appearance on the marble black walls. Rows of white candles placed on tall golden stands stood along the dark walls. Their orange flame flickered upwards while hot wax quietly slid down to meet the gold metal. Vague shadows wavered on the background and a light murmur rose into the still air. Thousands of eyes fixed themselves onto the other end of the magnificent hall.

A tall figure clothed in dark robes tapped his long fingers on the arm of his chair. Red eyes betraying nothing but a hint of boredom. Long hair, dark like the nature that dwelled inside him, flowed like water down onto the floor. He looked very much like a well-bred noble or a distinguished gentleman. However, the physical appearance spoke of nothing but a well-presented lie. At his feet, an unnamed beast lay watching the crowd with gold eyes. Claws that could easily slice through flesh and bone was hidden within its thick layers of gray fur. Two scantily dressed women sprawled in the midst of the crimson silk cushions near the tall figure. Their skin pale, contrasting with the blackness of their long hair. They said nothing unless commanded to. Jewels glittered as the duo moved in unearthly grace to attend their lord.

He flicked the women’s graceful hands away carelessly and turned his attention to the matters at hand. His gaze swept over the countless of shadowed figures that bowed before him. He could feel the tension of bloodlust trickling into hall. His pale lips curved into a faint smirk causing his audience to shift nervously.

Finally the cold stare came to rest on the woman who was kneeling in a puddle of her own blood, the scream she had just uttered slowly died away. Clothes, so tattered that they could not be even called rags, slowly soaked up the dark liquid staining it crimson. Strawberry blonde hair had turned almost black with blood. A long slit tore from her thigh to her knee exposed the pale bone nestled in between the raw red flesh. Severed veins continued pumping blood through the gash, mindless of the deadly consequence. A shard of glass embedded itself into her right hand. Bloody fingerprints trailed down the translucent surface. Thick chains bounded her hands and feet, pulling her down with their weight.

She was so still that one would almost think that the body no longer housed a soul within the chilled flesh. But he knew better, from his experience the human body could sustain injuries beyond imagination yet still lived. He smiled, sensing the weak flutter of determination as the woman fought to suck air into her wounded lungs.

Kane raised one eyebrow at the rasping sound. Mild annoyance fleeted through his face as he realized she was slowly drowning in her own body fluids. He made a slight gesture with his fingers causing the crowd’s murmuring to cease.

"It seems you won't last long after all, my dearest Sihne," he said almost regretfully, his voice echoing on the marble walls. A perfect blend of mocking sympathy and regret which he did not feel. He touched one of his silent attendants who was at his side absently, his red eyes still fixed upon the other woman who kneeled on the floor. "A pity, I thought you could totter back to your little friends as a warning to what will happen to anymore that comes into my territory."

The crowd stirred at his words. Their hunger rose up a notch while their sharp senses growled longingly at the scent of blood that radiated from the dying mortal. Most bared their teeth, ready to pounce but did not dare to follow their primary instinct before their master gave word.

None wished to bring upon himself Lord Kane's displeasure.

"Give back the children, Kane." Sihne gritted out through her intense pain. She choked, spitting out blood onto the stone floor.

Amused red eyes glanced at the cage that hung just a few meters away. Kane could see the frightened faces of the young ones peering through the iron bars. His sensitive hearing picked up the sobs and whimpering which were music to his ears. He kissed his attendants lips, not the least disturbed at the threat. Fingers brushed against the gleaming jewels that decorated the silent woman's flesh in mocking imitation of a loving caress. The dark haired demon pulled away the jewel that secured the dark strands, letting them fall onto his fingers like water. The silent attendant leaned into his touch, lips apart as her dark adoring eyes closed in submission. Absently he wondered who would he choose to bed that night.

"The Guild will kill you for this." Sihne restrained from collapsing. A crimson line dripped from her mouth.

Kane broke contact to meet the tormented eyes.

"I am sure they intend to," he answered in an almost placating manner. There was a hint of dark laughter lacing his words, "But the main question is -can- they?"

"Damn you."

"I -am- damned. Delightfully so, I must say." Kane’s lips twitched. He reached out to pat the gray fur of the beast. "Are you sure you don't want to stay for the feeding?"

"You…won't! You bastard!"

"You want to watch? Entertainment is so hard to get these few days. Maybe I can persuade you," the dark haired demon drawled smiling lazily. He waved at the vague direction of the iron cage. The crowd backed away respectfully while a single shadow pulled away from the rest. A creak sounded as rust pressed against iron. A terrified cry erupted as the shadow lifted the child just above the growling crowd. Skeleton-like fingers gripped with frantic little boy around his delicate calf. Silvery trails of tears fell from the plump cheeks as a faint line of crimson appeared against the youthful flesh.

Tension was strained. Hunger was hard to suppress especially with such a tempting treat nearby. The strong scent of fresh blood made it even more difficult. Shadowed hands that seemed more like cruel claws stretched out towards the struggling youth. Soon the crowd would break loose like some vicious pack of wild animals. But in some sense, they were animals. The thought amused the dark haired demon. Kane's smile grew wider seeing the young boy struggle within the strong grip.

"No! Stop!" Sihne screamed.

Not for the first time Kane detected the delicious swell of fear building up within the injured body. He watched the emotions running through the blooded face, savoring her anguish. A fine banquet to his senses. He tilted his head, allowing his other silent attendant to toy with his fingers.

"Dear Sihne, you know that I need to feed my followers. It wouldn't do to leave them hungry, would it Jer?" Kane questioned one of his attendants with wicked grin. A grin that only appeared when death was near. His red eyes fell onto the silent woman who delicately ran her own fingers through his palm.

"No it wouldn't, my Lord," she answered seductively. Many mortal men would gladly die for a single night in her presence.

"Even if I offer myself, you would…" desperation sank its teeth into the Sihne's shuddering body. Her attention was minutely distracted from the intense pain as it fixed itself onto the struggling boy just inches away from death. The terrified young eyes stared back at her, mouth trying to speak words that he had just learnt a few days ago. Her shoulders slumped forward.

"You could try. Who knows, maybe I am in good humor and might spare this one," the red gaze was back onto Sihne.

A choice lay in front of her. Both representing death and bloodshed. Lessons on how to deal with such situations floated back to her. She bit back a painful laugh thinking about how easy it was to learn and how hard it was to put it into practice. The image of her long dead teacher imprinted itself deep into her thoughts. Her heart broke, like pieces of iron finally surrendering to rust. She was not trained to be a fighter like the many others in her Guild. Tears formed in her eyes, realizing it was no use to bargain with this demon. All of them would die anyway. Numbly the woman shook her head, pleading whatever gods were watching for forgiveness.

"No? Well then, let's not waste anymore time," he nodded towards the shadow that was still holding the kicking youth.

Bony fingers loosen its grip on the deathly pale boy causing him to fall in the clutches of the shadowed crowd. There was a heartrending scream filled with pain before it just suddenly vanished. As if someone had abruptly shut off a shrieking radio. A sick feeling plunged itself deep into her stomach as Sihne listened to the ripping of flesh and snarls from inhuman throats. A red lump splattered on the opposite wall, evidence on the eating frenzy that was going on. Salt water fell from her cheeks, anger and grief sprung forth but her energy was spent. A shudder passed through the wreckage that was her body. Abusive words she managed to pick up throughout her teenage years spilled out from her choked throat but none seemed to be able to expressed what she was feeling.

Kane laughed at her pathetic attempt to get back at him. She clenched her eyes shut hearing the cold sound ringing in her ears.

The rest of the children in the cage stared at the carnage that had just occurred. Some began crying out wildly for their parents while others screwed their eyes closed, trying to wake up from a horrifying nightmare. Small hands reached out through the bars, towards the woman who was kneeling on the floor, begging to be saved.

"One at a time or all at once?" Kane wondered, resting his chin on his hand. He watched his followers as they fought over the remains of the boy. It did not take long to devour the small body. A small detached sigh whispered into the air as the dark haired demon allowed his gaze to roam around the room. There were many ways of feeding and this was one of the crudest forms, not to mention one of the oldest. Boredom was back on his pale face, his interest decreasing rapidly. "I am bored of this. Just be done with it."

The shadow jerked at the iron cage causing it to tilt dangerously. The children screamed in terror.

"Stop it! Stop it!"

"I thought you said…" the dark haired demon frowned at Sihne, his face skillfully molded into a confused expression.

"Stop it! Stop! Don't kill them! Please!"

"I should have made you beg earlier. You do it so prettily, my lovely mortal," Kane stated with a cold smile.

The iron cage halted with a moan. The young residents in it were trembling uncontrollably. Their innocent minds knowing what could happen once they were tossed out of the dark bars. The shadow paused, waiting. Sihne staggered to her feet, ignoring the white pain that curled around her leg. Unconsciously she wondered how much blood was there left in her body since the stone beneath her was literally stained with it. She bit her lip as she tried to remain standing.

"Please..."

"You don't have anything to offer me," he was oblivious of the screams. Kane absently placed his own fingers between his teeth and applied the correct pressure to cause the flesh to tear. Red liquid, crimson red that reminded him of another that he had recently fed on, dripped from the deep wound. Enjoying the pain, he slid the bleeding digits across his lips tasting the metallic taste. Then he scrutinized the flesh that was rapidly knitting itself over the wound, stopping the red liquid from escaping.

"Amusement," she refused to allow her brain to catch up with what she was saying. "My death."

A dark eyebrow lifted as he considered the offer.

"A death..painful enough…could amuse you," Sihne gasped out the sentence.

"Sweet Sihne, you do know how to please me." Kane's lips lifted into a cruel smile. His already healed fingers snapped once "If you wanted a painful death, you just had to ask. I would have been more than happy to oblige. And what is more amusing than the deaths of innocents?"

Screams. Countless of young voices broke out in terror as the iron cage dropped, carrying with the pale faces that would never see the light of day again. The crowd's triumphed howl was more than enough to know what would follow. Sihne strained against the chains, watching in disbelief as her charges were swallowed up by the demons that lurked in the shadows. Cries of pain lasted too long. Seconds become an eternity for each death. Every piercing shriek tore at her heart while each silence took a part of her soul. Then, the sounds of beasts in feeding frenzy made her blood turn into ice.

"No..no," Sihne whispered, dropping back onto the floor. She rocked back and forth in disbelief. "No…no..."

"Oh dear, was that not what you wanted? Perhaps I made a mistake?" the dark haired demon enquired pleasantly.

Haunted eyes stared uncomprehendingly back at him. The soul trapped behind those eyes had already passed the limits of what a human could endure. All that was left was the shattered vestige of the woman named Sihne.

"Do let me make it up to you," another pleasant smile as the crowd surged forward to collect the treat that had been dangling in front of them the whole night.

Kane sighed noting the blood that washed the stone floor. The red looked black against the dark blue. Normally he would have been enraged at such carelessness but right now the feeling of content made it impossible to summon anger. Absently he murmured to Jer's twin to make sure the stains were washed away immediately. Then he bent over to cover her lips with his own. Sharp tips of his teeth pricked the soft flesh drawing blood. Kane smiled at the slight whimper as he deepened the kiss, tasting the sweetness. The cut on her lips grew bigger allowing more blood to flow. Kane trailed his fingers against her full breasts making her arch into his feathery light touch. Perhaps he would have this attendant in his bed for the night before he decided to rip her beautiful head off just for pure amusement.

Suddenly his enjoyment dispersed leaving only pure disgust.

An irritated growl worked its way through his pale throat before he clenched a handful of the woman's dark hair. With a sharp twist, he threw her roughly away from him. She fell painfully onto the floor, her head striking the floor with a sickening thud. Her body jerked once before remaining motionless. Her twin stared up at her lord, concern in her dark eyes. The beast raised its snout, nudging its master. Shadows stopped moving and all noise ceased. Such fear they had for the demon lord.

Kane stood, red eyes narrowing in faint confusion. He paused, dreadfully still. Then the dark haired demon's sharp gaze narrowed further.

"The Starchild has been born."

No one made a sound at his announcement. They all knew what the Starchild meant. The dark mages had predicted the child's coming and now this special youth had arrived. They tensed waiting for the orders that they had been waiting for ever since they came into the world. The command that they had been preparing for in order to serve their lord.

Kane's red eyes were unreadable as he stared into the crowd. An expression that they could never make out but only understood by experience that terrible things would happen if they failed.

"Find the child."

~OWARI~

Ano, mouse-chan cannot believe she wrote this. Oh well, she warned you that it would be bloody. And sick. And weird. And crappy. *continues chewing on pizza*