<>Repeated Past
Done by: Mouse-chan and K-chan.


Standard Disclaimer: The characters used this fanfic are owned and copyright by Squaresoft. The characters are used without permission. This series is only made for entertainment use and does not make any profits of any kind. Any original characters are copyrighted to the authors. Changes in this fanfic can occur without any warning. Please bear in mind that the story contains yaoi, violence and adult language for that matter.

[Warning, spoilers for the game]

"-" conversations
{-} personal thoughts
italic flashbacks


[CHAPTER 1: THE LAST PAGE AND THE FIRST]
[PART 3: FLASHBACKS OF THE PAST]
16/4/99

After the call, Cloud slung his buster sword over his shoulder. However old and slow it might be as a weapon to a normal swordsman, he managed to handle it until it was almost as powerful as the Ultima weapon. It’s effectiveness doubled by the increase of materia slots. Cloud had to thank Shera for that.

Picking a few materia at random, he slotted them into the materia slot. During his free time, Cloud trained as much as he could not wanting to be lacking in skill or slacking. The outcome was rather satisfying. He easily slid the sword back into its sheath without paying much attention.

Feeling the need to feed his curiosity, Cloud decided to check the on goings at his "hometown". As he shouldered the buster sword, Cloud Strife got his gold chocobo, Nick out of the stable and headed off the next continent.

For a brief instant the bird slowed down from its steady run. Almost carefully the chocobo halted in the middle of a large field. It warked hesitantly while gazing around at the vast land surrounding them.

Cloud frowned looking up into the clear sky. The clouds were getting slightly grayer implying an upcoming storm. He could smell the scent of rain in the air carried by the wind but nothing else. Shrugging, Cloud tugged the reins slightly urging his mount to continue on with its journey.


-------------------------------------------------------------


On the hard floors of Cosmo Canyon, Red 13 sat silently in front of the sacred fire. He sat alone not wanting company while he thought about the incident and the foretell of the stars. The fiery flames reflecting in the golden eyes as the beast’s glowing tail swept across the dusty ground creating a miniature sand storm. The flickering light from the flames in front of him cast shadows causing the red mane seemed like the color of warm blood. Red 13 was sat there deep in thought as he watched the hot red flames dance in front of him.

A slight movement caught his attention jerking him into reality. Beyond the shadows the beast could make out a tall figure. Red turned back towards the fire, he needn’t ponder who it was.

"So fast?" he asked inquiringly.

The figure stepped into the small circle where the shadows lessen and light grew stronger. Long raven black hair slipped out in unruly strands disobeying their owner’s wishes to tame them. The long deep red cloak hung around him giving the youthful looking man an air of mystery. A pair of crimson eyes which depth no lake could match watched him.

In those very eyes, a fire burnt in them yet it was not like the fire which was burning merrily in front of them. It was a very different fire, it was of unquenchable molten lava, which would not go out unless the spirit behind them would waver and fade. The wisdom they held within their fiery depths was more than any man who appeared his age.

Red cocked his head to one side silently repeating his question. Vincent looked well although slightly paler than usual. The dark haired man nodded in response.

"It must have been the mako in my blood" Vincent paused for a moment before giving a short bitter laugh. Red sharply swung his gaze back at the man. His silent companion shook his head a little.

"Hojo must have thought he done me a favor by giving me this....body" Vincent quietly murmured. His tone betrayed the hatred he still felt for the dead scientist.

Red 13 wondered if the mad scientist had given Vincent immortality as well. The beast watched the dark haired man. It was possible since time did not take its toll on the seemingly ageless man. Red felt his hair prickled slightly at the mere mention of the person who caused him so much anguish while he was in captivity.

{Hojo cost almost everyone so much pain, Vincent, Cloud,….Sephiroth}

The beast blinked, slightly confused, thinking for a reason why the name of his former enemy had crept into his head. Sephiroth was dead and gone. He cleared his throat to hide his brief confusion. "I called Reeve a few minutes ago"

Vincent gazed at him, a silent question hovering in the air.

Red 13’s face grew solemn "He said he would be sending his troopers to guard the village, immediately" The beast watched for any changes on his friend’s face. The last thing he wanted was for Vincent to feel like he had failed again.

To his relieve he saw none.

"Cloud will be there shortly," Red added wondering when was the last time he exchanged news with his blonde friend.

Vincent watched the flames dance in their fiery light. He pondered his mistakes over and over again but the same questions repeated themselves in his mind. Vincent frowned.

{So why was there doubt? Did Sephiroth deserve to know the truth about his past? About Lucrecia?}

The man shook his head silently once more. The past was done and could not be redone. One could not go back into time to undo his mistakes.

He learnt that firsthand.

Together the duo sat in silence watching the fire devour the burning wood. They grew deep in thought, so deep that the villagers of Cosmo Canyon did their best not to disturb them. Thin trail of gray smoke rose up into the night sky filled with twinkling stars above the two. As they sat in within the light of the dancing flames, the air stilled making time crease to exist.


-------------------------------------------------------


Nibelheim looked as though it had always been there. There were no traces of the burning that had taken place several years ago. People lived there as though they always been there. It looked like what it was suppose to look like: a small town with friendly people whose lives were closely knitted together.

Cloud felt his heart tightening as he walked through the once familiar streets. Everything looked the same. This was the place he once called home. There tucked away in a corner was Tifa’s house. It still looked like it did six years ago. He could bet the piano was still there with everything in it’s proper place. Shinra or rather Hojo did a very good job concealing the truth.

Yet somehow, the streets felt different to his senses. Faces were not familiar. Actors and replicates all trained to make things seemed normal. Now when the truth was no longer needed to be hidden, some moved away seeking a better life while others still carried on living in the sleeping village. He suspected they fell into the lives of the role they were playing, becoming lost in their own world, like what he had went through so long ago.

Cloud gazed at his house for a moment. His mother was dead and there was a stranger living in his own home. Somebody sleeping where he used to when he was a child.

{Replaced. Like a cheap toy. Expendable, replaceable, worthless.}

The blonde man who once was a little boy that played in those very streets turned away from the place. Blind to everything else, Cloud stumbled towards the Shinra Mansion.

The Shinra mansion looked gloomy and desolated as usual. Cloud felt almost better when he stepped into the mansion. At least this building was real and not a replicate. The glowing blue eyes took in the cobwebs and the dust.

A small smile tugged the borders of his lips. Obviously Vincent couldn’t care less how dirty the place was. Cloud wondered if Vincent had any experience with a broom or maybe a vacuum cleaner before. The blonde man’s lips twitched a little as a mischievous sparkle lilted in the gorgeous azure eyes. The mere idea of it was actually amusing enough to send the blonde into a fit of laughter.

Choking back his laughter, Cloud managed to straighten his features. He scanned the whole mansion not knowing what was he looking for. Cloud certainly remembered why he needed to be in Nibelhiem.

{monsters..}

So what was he doing in the Shinra mansion? Shouldn’t he be heading towards the mountains? Monsters don’t live with civilization for god’s sake!

Deep inside his being, a voice was prompting him to go on. Without thinking, he moved to the right wing. As he walked down the short passage towards the bedrooms, his heart began beating faster.

The secret passage opened revealing the hidden steps. Cloud had done this many times before during the search for Sephiroth but this time it felt different somehow.

{I am getting nearer.....getting nearer to...}

Cloud hesitated. The voice answered none of his questions but only to urge him on.

You are getting nearer.....nearer...but hurry, hurry.

{Getting nearer to.....what?}

Finally, the blonde walked down the long winding stairs once again and headed down the passage. Moving past the once locked basement room; he came face to face with the worn looking door leading to the secret library. Something was calling him, urging him gently on.

It was distant at first but grew stronger with each step. Cloud’s hand touched the brass lever. The blonde paused; doubt and unwillingness colored his thoughts.

If it was possible he did not want to enter that particular room but there was no other choice, the voice went on relentlessly. Rebelling was not an open option for him.

Hurry...hurry!

With mechanical movements, Cloud found himself pushing the door open.

Abruptly after he stepped into the room, the voice fell silent. The door closed with a click.

Apparently the place was still untouched. Another layer of dust had settled on the silent objects adding to the isolation the place was graced with. His gaze swept through the room noting the large wooden desk and the stack of papers on it. He reached out and took one of the papers that seemed to be a report of sorts. The blue eyes read the first few sentences written on the white sheet.

Date X Year X REPORT 4

Code "Z" exterminated while Code "C" is presumed dead.

Cloud carefully placed the report back onto the table. His expression deprived of any emotion as he picked his way towards the two tubes that sat at the other end of the room. Strangely Cloud had an overwhelming urge to see the labels on the tubes again. Even though he knew the long written messages on the thick glass were still there, he wanted to confirm it, to make sure it was a reality not an illusion. He wanted to, and maybe even needing to.

A flood of relief swept through him when he read the labels on the cylinders and the scratches on the thick glass for the second time.

Code "Z" and Code "C".

Suddenly his vision swam and turned red. The frighteningly familiar pain in his head made itself known once more. Crimson spots danced around blurring every single thing into an ocean on blood. Somewhere a deafening roar emerged.

His fingers clenched on his forehead trying to make it go away. Instead the noise grew until Cloud couldn’t stand it anymore and sank to his knees.

Everything turned black.

Sickening green colored liquid surrounded him making it hard for him to see. His vision was disorientated. Whatever caused it was unknown. He had an unhappy suspicion it had something to do with the clear green liquid. Or maybe the daily series of injections they gave him. And he didn’t like it at all.

He felt sick, his legs were not responding to his commands. He could feel himself floating in the green water. Funny enough he was able to breathe in it without drowning. Maybe it was just a dream. Then if it were, wasn’t it high time to wake up?

~flash~

Bright light, so bright that he closed his eyes. A voice? He opened his eyes to see a man clothed in white leaning over him. Cold eyes behind the icy glasses.... "Failure" That word, it hurt so badly. The guy with dark spiky hair in the tube next to him...he looked familiar....who... ?

...Tired, want to go home. Wait, where was home? He….he couldn’t remember.....words spun in his head...

....guilty...guilty....guilty.....

Bright light flashed again. Pain, men in white coats. Doctors? His head hurt, are they going to make it go away?.......Then make these emotions go away as well....

.......the feeling of betrayal....guilt....disgust....anger....

....guilty....guilty....guilty.......

Bright lights flashed.

Cloud blinked.

The ex-trooper found himself staring at the dusty floor of the Shinra mansion’s secret library. He felt rather weird like he was down with a fever. His head was pounding with an aching headache. A buzzing sound rang in his ear while his vision swam causing him to feel disorientated.

{What happened?}

Cloud staggered on his feet a little wanting more than anything to be able to sit down on a chair. The world was spinning like an insane top under his unsteady feet. He glanced at the two huge glass cylinders uneasily.

{I think....I remembered something....}

Slowly like an old drunken man, Cloud dragged himself towards the inner chambers of the library. Once in a while, memories would come flooding back, giving him a hint of his past. Something Cloud didn’t want to remember. They always gave the illusion of pain and darkness.

Finally, the young man dropped weightlessly onto the dusty chair. A cloud of dust rose into the air. He choked and coughed as the dust tickled his nostrils. Cloud closed his eyes for a moment getting back his sense of direction.

When he opened his eyes, he lowered them to the ground not wanting his stomach to waste what little he ate for breakfast. The blonde still felt dizzy but there was a slight improvement. He stared at the floor ignoring the faint nausea when something caught his attention.

Cloud blinked at the glowing liquid near his feet.

{Now what? I am seeing things?}

He bent down and touched the greenish liquid. It was cold but Cloud withdrew his hand as though he was scalded. It was mako, he was sure of it. The glowing blue eyes narrowed at the growing puddle of mako at his feet.

A distinctive "plop" sound could be heard.

Cloud raised his eyes to see a sheet of paper on the desk. It was like any normal paper but one of its corners was soaked with a glowing green liquid. In fact, there was a small puddle on the desk as well.

Puzzled, Cloud looked up. All he could see was the ceiling, a couple of cobwebs and a few pipes. He stared at the ceiling wondering where did the mako come from when he felt something wet on his cheek. The blonde brought a hand up to wipe his cheek. It came away wet with greenish glowing liquid. Cloud frowned. He stared at the rusting pipes.

{Is mako dripping from the pipes?}

The sky blue eyes followed the pipes until they disappeared. Cloud stared at the wall of books in front of him. Somehow he had a nasty feeling about the pipes. If there was mako in them where was it going to? The secret lab under the mansion as well as the reactor in Nibelheim was closed down years ago.

Surely there were no more machines that could have been functioning all this while. Machines needed maintenance, fuel and energy. How could they possibly run without supervision?

As Cloud pondered the thoughts, many questions began to form. The blonde shook his head wondering if he was getting paranoid. Of course there was no active machines in the building. The whole place was run down. Nothing was working in the Shinra mansion. There was no way anything could actually manage operate. Not in this place that was once infested with monsters.

The sound of humming machines whispered across the silent air. Cloud Strife froze, his mako blue eyes widen. The slender hands gripped the broad sword tighter. He cocked his head to one side and listened intently.

No doubt the humming was coming from the shelf behind him. Cloud buried the feeling of dread swelling up within him. Carefully, the blonde touched the wooden shelf. It felt solid under his touch. He pushed it again but nothing happened. The ex-trooper glanced at the wall of books in front of him.

Even though nothing happen, the feeling of dread arose despite his earlier efforts to bury it.

Fear gripped him, the very same chilling fear that drove him to the brink of insanity. There was something strange with the whole situation. The almost silent hum from the hidden machines sounded almost threatening.

{It sounds like six years ago......when}

Memories refused to emerge from the depths of his mind. They hid themselves in the shadows, never completely showing themselves. Cloud took a step back. His basic instincts were screaming at him to get the hell out of there.

Cloud felt startled, he was shuddering visibly. Was he still unconsciously afraid of what happen years ago?

{What Hojo did to him...}

Why was he still afraid? He asked himself. He should have gotten over it a long time ago. Even before they fought with Sephiroth, Cloud had promised himself he wouldn’t let fear control his life. Ironically, now he wanted to run as far away as possible from this lab.

...No not lab....remember, Cloud...there’s....

He shook his head, trying to retrieve the sentence that ready was vanishing.

"I am sure there is a switch somewhere" he murmured almost absently under his breath. Cloud figured if he wanted to get over his phobia he needed to find the root. Right now his mind focused on the wall in front of him. The barrier between him and something he had forgotten a long time ago. Something that was kept away from him all these time.

{The truth}

Azure colored eyes took in the dusty panel. There was not one odd looking digit offered the slightest clue.

Walking up and down the room, the blonde’s patience was running out. Cloud could bet he was here for an hour or more but still there were no leads on where the mako was coming from. Suppressing the urge to just take his sword and hammer the whole wall into tiny bits, Cloud studied the rows of books.

Suddenly his eyes caught on an odd dark colored book on the shelf.

It looked torn and the brownish cover was almost in pieces. Curious, Cloud peered at the fading gold words on the binder. "....Ancient....Folklore?"

A frown appeared on Cloud’s face. It never occurred to him that Hojo read any books that contained myths or legends of any kind.

{Didn’t Sephiroth once said Hojo detest using the word "Magic"? So....}

Cloud pondered the issue a little, turning the buster sword absently in his hands. He reached up and slowly pulled the book out.

{Let’s see.....if I am correct...}

A "click" sounded just as the book was moved. Cloud dropped the dusty book, raising his weapon as the whirring sound of machines grew louder.

Silently the shelf behind the old desk slid back revealing a gaping hole in the wall. A strained smile passed the ex-troopers face.

{Bingo}

Already he felt the tension surging in his veins. Any kind of release would have been welcomed. Cloud clenched his fists trying to stop his hands from shaking. The underground lab had never bothered him before. But with the fact that something else could be lying beneath the mansion made him break out in cold sweat. Right now he was absolutely terrified.


--------------------------------------------------------------


Far away in Highwind, a grim voice could be heard over the noise of the airship’s engine.

"Reeve, we found something you are definitely not gonna like "



The end of Part 3 of Chapter 1

NOTE TO ALL READERS

Please be noted that the story takes place 6 months after the game. There is also a YAOI content. So to all readers who do not approve to such pairing or dislike the idea, please do not continue reading. The authors will not entertain any flames or complains concerning the yaoi pairing/pairings involved in the fanfic.

Thankyou