Repeated Past

By: Mouse-chan

: K-chan


Standard Disclaimer: The characters used this fanfic are owned and copyright by Squaresoft. The characters are used without permission. This series is only made for entertainment use and does not make any profits of any kind. Any original characters are copyrighted to the authors. Changes in this fanfic can occur without any warning. Please bear in mind that the story contains yaoi, violence and adult language for that matter.

Comments can be sent to Mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com or K-chan at karina_lye@yahoo.com .Any flames about the yaoi coupling in this fanfic will not be entertained.

[Warning, spoilers for the game]

"-" conversations
{-} personal thoughts
italic flashbacks


[CHAPTER 2: HIDDEN MANACE]

[PART 2: HIDE AND SEEK]

"I can’t believe that we spent 2 hours in that damn lab! Shit! I can't even believe there was another lab!"

Cloud smiled feeling faintly amused by Barret's ramblings. It felt good to laugh after what they have seen and done. They found the laboratory rather easily since Cloud had left the hidden passage in the library open. It was not one of those spacious laboratories that took up a half of a football field but it was big enough to conduct major experiments. Being underground, the room had as much space as it wanted and limitless energy supplied by the reactor that was sitting right on top of it. Cloud's eyes darkened remembering the pipes, extensive machines and most of all the cylindrical glass tube. There was something about that thing that bothered him but he just couldn't put his finger on what it was. He kept his thoughts to himself and concentrated walking down the streets of Nibelhiem.

"Some people must have used the place as a lab some time ago," Tifa figured aloud. She heaved the stake of papers they have collected that contained some data on what kind of experiments that were conducted. "It might have nothing to do with what's going on at all."

"Maybe and maybe not," Barret replied while relieving her of some papers. He dropped them into the land vehicle. "Guess we'll find out after reading these."

"Mako and monsters are a bad combination. If you look at the location, mako infused monsters appearing around a lab that has access to mako….I think it makes sense" Vincent quietly stated before taking a sheet of data from the pile and scanned the first few lines. He held out the paper to Cloud who took it.

After reading for a minute, Cloud blinked at the rest of the group. "Vincent's right. Someone has been in there not too long ago." He pointed at a tiny, scribbled date on a corner of the paper. "And there is some connection with mako. If I am not wrong, that are the mako code levels that are used for mako enhanced SOLDIERs"

"What the HELL?" Barret pounded his fist onto his palm. "Who is this maniac?! When I getta hold of him, I am gonna pound him into fine gun power!"

"I don't know," Cloud peered at the paragraphs and the weird looking graphs. "But what I know is that I can't read this scientific stuff. I was only trained to handle the necessary basics, other than that…." The ex-trooper shrugged. Carefully he placed the paper back into the stake and arranged the loose sheets properly.

"Neither am I" Vincent said. "Although the Turks were given extensive training about mutation, it was more of a step by step procedure."

"Shit, now we gotta go back to Neo-Midgar to give this buncha damn papers to Reeve so that his wacko scientists can translate what the hell is written." Barret fumed obviously annoyed.

"Barret, there is no point getting all vulgar about it" Tifa admonished.

"Damn, sorry. Just that this is reminding me about Hojo." The broad shouldered man glared up into the sky. "Now that was one freaky guy who did not have his head screwed on tight enough."

Vincent glanced sideways at his dark skinned friend. "Dead people stay dead."

"It must be one of his prodigies" Tifa quickly intercepted. "Right Cloud?"

"Hm?" the youth in question looked at his friends. "Sorry, sort of spaced out for a moment."

"Are you feeling all right? You look a little pale"

"No, I am fine."

Vincent frowned, turning around suddenly. His hand hesitated for a moment before smoothly pulling out his gun. "The wind's change"

They fell silent at the sound of the ex-Turk's statement. Cloud's sky blue eyes narrowed and he unsheathed the Ultima weapon. He turned around to face the horizon, his sword drawn. Its crystal blade gleamed in the sunlight. "Something……."

Nervously the group spaced out between themselves preparing for a fight. Everything was quiet except the gentle breeze. Thin blades of grass swayed under the slight pressure.

Cloud's eyes widen. His gaze jerked up towards the sky to see a rapidly growing dark figure. "INCOMING!!!!"

Before anyone could do anything, the black shadow was directly above them. Its powerful wings creating such a force that it caused the whole group to lose balance. Cloud gasped in pain as one of the wings knocked him onto the ground. Almost in slow motion he felt his grip on the Ultima weapon loosen. For a split second he had the crystal blade in his hands and then he was holding thin air.

Climbing to his feet, Cloud listened to the almost familiar roar that sliced through the air.

"Wasn't that…..no it can't be…wait….shit" Barret gazed at the dragon like figure that was now retreating into the horizon. "ULTIMA WEAPON?! But we as certain as hell killed it!"

For a while the roar of the WEAPON filled the horizon, then it disappeared and was replaced by a different sound. The thundering noise of Highwind's rockets boomed into existence. Immediately a rope ladder was thrown down. The group did not need a written invitation, Barret and Cloud grabbed the papers from the land vehicle and stuffed them into bags while the other two climbed onboard. As soon as his feet touched the deck, Cloud titled his head to one side surrendering as an urge to comment on the slightly odd incident entered his mind.

"I don't know about you guys but it feels like everyone is dropping on us today"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 All he could see was white. Everything in the vision was a mess of blurry white with the occasional black patches here and there. There was the feeling of a peaceful atmosphere that portrayed blissful serenity. He could hear the familiar howl of the north wind sweeping through the rocky walls. How he recognized the sound, he did not know. His muddled brain connected to the rational part of him decided that he should be freezing and puzzled over the fact that he was not.

After a while, he finally realized that he was not in a very good place to take an afternoon nap. Struggling to his feet, he dully moved a few steps while trying to regain some sort of balance. His body felt unusually heavy and his mind was foggy as though someone had pulled a woolen cloth over his brain. His vision was still unclear, as the world remained a handful of undefined colors. He stumbled, falling into the hands of the chilled mountain air.

It was long time before the ground embraced him with it's rather uneventfully hard surface. Too tired even to attempt to get onto his feet once again, he lay on the ground. Far away he dimly registered a few voices muffled by the sound of the wind. He knew that he should call out for help but his physical body refused to do so. Instead his eyes began to close as sleep pulled at him gently.

Before he lost consciousness, an image fleeted through his tired mind. A smile along with a pair of depthless eyes lingered for a single second and his vision was dominated with darkness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell do you mean that freakin thing just swooped over us and grabbed spikey's sword ere' was the damn Ultima WEAPON?!"

"I am telling you that it is the Ultima WEAPON! You were there yourself! You saw it!"

"Yea, I saw it! But that -thing- is suppose to be dead! We killed it!!"

 

Cloud turned away to gaze at the window as he listened to his friends quarrel. Barret was insisting that the black thing, which stole his sword, was definitely not the Ultima WEAPON although it had a canny resemblance to the real thing. Reeve was trying his best to convince him otherwise while Cid was on the verge of pure denial. They tossed the subject around like some crazy football caught in a mad game of rugby. If it was a debate, Cloud was sure he would have given full points to both teams.

"I am telling ya there is no way in hell that …-thing-..can come straight back from…from…HELL…… to haunt us!!!"

"Ever heard of the word "resurrection"?"

"Woa, shut up, Reeve. Next thing you will say is that my parents are merrily living on the moon!! Shit, now that's a nightmare"

The group had given the Ultima WEAPON a grand chase right after picking Cloud and gang from Nibelhiem. But somehow, they had lost track of it and it disappeared beyond the Wutai's mountains. Cloud absently listened to the three debated for a moment as he stared aimlessly into the sky. His mind raced through a thousand things and yet refusing to face the obvious. Curiously it seemed his friends were also going through the same conflict.

"I am telling you the Ultima WEAPON is alive and happily scuttling through the air waves as we speak" Reeve firmly replied.

Red gave the president an odd look. "Scuttle?" he questioned with a tone of hidden laughter.

"But why?" Tifa implored "Why must the planet revive it? There is no existing threat for it to do so"

"How the hell should I know" Barret snapped "It has only been six months and this damn rock decides to give us another bloody crisis!"

"We are not sure if this is a crisis or not" Red 13 shook his fiery mane. "Or if there IS a crisis" The beast lifted his head towards the silent blonde who was still standing at the window ever since they got onto the airship. "Cloud, what do you think?"

Cloud blinked, dragging his wandering thoughts back to the situation at hand. His gaze met the concerned ones of his gold-eyed friend. He shrugged in his usual non-committed manner. Immediately his training kicked into gear, arranging the words to make a proper opinion. "I suggest the first thing we do is to search the area to see if any other WEAPONs have been resurrected."

"Brilliant, Sherlock" Cid took a drag from his cigar. "Where should we begin?"

Looking from one face to another, the blonde ex-trooper realized that his friends have automatically appointed him as the leader again. He suppressed a sigh. It was not unusual since he had a lot of practice from the last time he played leader. Not to mention they -did- save the world. And the small tiny fact they always had relied on him if circumstances permitted. He guessed it was quite natural for them to turn to him, again. But deep inside, Cloud wondered how much trust they placed on him by choosing him even though knowing his apparent flaws and somehow he was grateful.

"Let's split up" Cloud replied meeting the expectant features of the group. "Cid, Yuffie and Red 13. You guys follow me to Junon to look for the Sapphire and Emerald WEAPON. Tifa, Vincent and Barret will go to Gold Saucer to see if Ruby pops up."

Reeve cocked his head to one side "Hey, and what about me?"

"Huh?" Cloud stopped, slightly puzzled. "Don't you have to translate this data for us?" He gestured to the stacks of paper they found in Nibelhiem. The president of Shinra smiled.

"I have already managed to get some people to work on it. They will be coming in shortly. So it means right now I am partially free"

"Right" Cloud nodded his voice firm and confident as he gave out the orders. "You can follow us to Junon. See if you can get a ship to scout the Junon shores for Sapphire. Red and I will follow you. Cid and Yuffie should head off to look for Emerald. Vincent, Barret and Tifa should be able to fly Highwind to see if Ruby is around. Everyone will meet back in Neo Midgar"

"Hey! Woa there! You are letting them fly Highwind without me?!" Cid protested.

"Shut up, old man" Yuffie grinned. "Don't get so pissy for nothing"

"Watch it, brat"

"Hah, the old man is really getting touchy. Must be the age, eh?"

The blonde ex-trooper took a deep breath before continuing. "We can go chase Ultima WEAPON later."

"Don't really need your sword, huh?" Yuffie inquired, ignoring the Highwind captain.

"No, not immediately" Cloud answered, patting the buster sword that was in its sheath. A worried look crossed his features. "But we may have to fight Ultima WEAPON to get it back."

"Enough talk" Cid briskly. "Let's get mosy. I have a brat that needs to be stuck in one submarine"

Yufiie groaned.

Cid grinned evilly. "Pay back time"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tifa peered over the wide stretch of blazing gold earth. Her brown eyes scanned the yellow sands while the huge propellers spun crazily driving specks of dirt into the air. From time to time, the longhaired lady would push her dark hair off her shoulders before continuing her watch over the Gold Saucer's dessert.

"See anything yet?"

"Nothing yet" She spared a glance at the broad shouldered man who was standing beside her. Barret clutched the handrails as he stared at vast dessert. His lips moved slightly muttering a wide variety of curses. She smiled listening to his creative description of the weather, Ruby WEAPON and almost everything in general. Not that she didn't agree with him. Tifa blinked up at the brilliant sky with her hands shielding her eyes from the overly bright glare of the sun. The word 'hot' was a pathetic understatement in a place like this, she concluded feeling the smothering heat.

"Where's Vincent?" she asked.

"With the pilot" Barret answered, waving his large hand vaguely. "From what I heard, we are directly over the spot where we fought Ruby"

 "Oh" the long haired lady looked at the moving gold specks. The whole dessert looked all the same to her. Gazing out, she vaguely remembered the fight involving Cloud, Vincent and Red against Ruby. The three came back exhausted beyond belief. For a full hour they had stood in the scorching heat battling with the WEAPON. Tifa was sure if she had been there with them; she wouldn't have lasted for a single minute.

Suddenly her view was dominated by a dark shadow. She snapped her head up to see the sun blocked by something.

"Barret!" Tifa screamed realizing what it was.

Highwind jerked under her feet causing her to lose balance. Tifa slammed onto the wooden floor, her bare knee painfully grazed the surface as she tried to break the fall. Twisting around she heard Barret yelling at her about something. A gush of wind hit her sharply on her right attracting her attention. Her heart thudded painfully as the huge antenna powerfully swept the deck missing her by a few precious centimeters. Bits and pieces of wood flew into the air.

Before either of them could do anything, Highwind titled precariously to one side. Tifa felt her world sliding beneath her. Her hands grabbed franticly at the smooth surface of the deck to stop herself from sliding off the ship. Her body stumbled over across the wooden floor. Dizzily, Tifa sense that she was nearing the edge of the ship. For a brief moment, Tifa knew she was on the ship then when it passed she was surrounded by nothing but air. She felt her hands coming into contact with the smooth, cold metal handrails. Her fingers clenched, tightening their hold on it.

Highwind tilted a bit more to one side.

Tifa's legs kicked freely in the air as their owner dangled dangerously, saved with only her hold on the rails. She could hear Barret's voice from above her. She couldn't make out his voice under the roar of the machines.

Almost at their own record, her vision turn downwards.

Tifa found herself staring at a massive figure a few feet beneath her. Its dark red armor and thick antennas confirmed what she already knew. Sand blew all around her as the engines screamed in their struggle against the pull of gravity. Unable to wrench her gaze away, she stared at the creature that sat in the ocean of sand under her.

Highwind jerked once more and Ruby roared.

Almost at once, the ship righted itself and the rockets burst into life. Tifa stared at the red figure as Highwind sliced through the air creating a vast space between it and the WEAPON in matter of seconds. Numbly, she felt herself being pulled back onto the deck.

"Shit, that was close" Barret muttered. "Ya alright?"

"Yeah, I am fine" Tifa answered. "Any injuries?"

"Naw, just the engines and a little bit of extra wood for that hole over there" Barret pointed towards the middle of the deck where Ruby left a mark of its attack.

"Glad you are safe" Vincent quietly said.

"I guess we should be grateful we gotten away" Tifa glanced at the rapidly disappearing dessert. Barret followed her gaze and nodded in agreement.

"There is no freakin doubt that Ruby is alive" he paused for a moment "Shit"

Vincent folded his arms. "Ruby is alive" he echoed Barret shaking his head. "This is not good news"

"Like hell it is!"

Tifa moved up to stand on her feet. She brushed off the sand before glancing at her companions. "Come on, let's get back to Neo Midgar and contact Cloud. Maybe he has better news compared to ours"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now I want that ship ready in 5 minutes. That goes for the sub too"

"Yes, sir!"

Cloud listened to the soldier receiving orders from a superior. The boy looked fresh out of training. The lad gave the captain a sharp salute before confidently marching off. His posture gave away nothing but Cloud noted that the young boy's bright eyes betrayed their owner.

{Eager to please, reckless, thinks he is on top of everyone else…}

The blonde ex-trooper smiled faintly remembering when he too, a few years back, had done the same thing. Beside him, the captain sighed wearily.

"This young un's. They come fresh out from school; think they ar' so darn smart. So smart, 'think they can cheat death. Those impossible trigger happy idiots." the old man shook his head watching the soldier. Cloud's amusement grew after hearing the captain' s comment.

"I believe that was exactly what my captain said about me once" the blonde ex-trooper offered off-handedly.

The old man laughed. "That's what all of em say about their lads"

"Is it actually possible to scout the shallow waters of Junon using a boat?" Cloud questioned. He was glad that this particular captain was so long on the force that he did not waste any time on formalities.

"You bet, a normal bot can't but those engineers concocted up a specially made boat for the purpose" he wiped some dirt off his glasses "It's pretty safe, I been on one before. You really can't tell the difference even if you put it next to a normal boat. That is unless you open up the engines"

"So will everything will be prepared in 5 minutes?" Cloud asked.

"Definitely" the captain's eyes shone with unmistaken pride. "We might not be SOLDIERs but we are as sure as hell darn efficient."

Cloud thanked him before heading towards the inn where his friends were. The streets of Junon were still like it was six months back. He casually walked down the alley, noting that the place was slightly cleaner compared to the last time he visited. The soldiers' barracks have been enlarged after Reeve took his place as president of Shinra. Reeve had also encouraged citizens to stay in Junon by putting up new resident houses along the streets. That caused shops to bloom all over the small city.

The blonde ex-trooper carefully tread his way through the hustling crowd and the pulled away when he reached the inn.He entered the room after nodding to the man behind the counter. Closing the door behind, the low chatter of the group died down as they one by one noticed his presence. Red lay near the fireplace, his head rose from the comfort of his large paws as he caught sight of Cloud. Cid momentarily stopped his argument with Yuffie to smile at their leader before taking another drag from his ever present cigar.

"How you can live so long is beyond me" Yuffie muttered.

Cid pointedly ignored her and took another drag. Red patiently shook his head.

What's the outcome?" the beast asked.

"We have 5 minutes before going" Cloud answered. "Shall we move?"

In response, the group got onto their feet and headed out into the streets towards the port. Cloud noted that Cait Sith was rather quiet throughout the short walk and wondered why. He concluded that Reeve had a lot on his mind concerning Neo Midgar and the WEAPONs so he did not question his friend about his unusual behavior. The port was as noisy as a normal port should be. Three large cargo ships were being unloaded while two more sat silently as they were gently rocked by the ocean waves. A small but reliable looking speedboat sat in between its monstrous cousins. It looked tiny and frail compared with the heavy bulk of the cargo ships.

"Ah, there you are" the captain whom Cloud had spoken to earlier greeted them with a short salute. "The ship is ready to go. The crew onboard will take you anywhere you want to go. The sub, 1064, is also ready but you gotta go to the underwater port"

Cloud nodded and watched the ocean for a moment.

"I heard that the tide has gone up for no apparent reason." The captain continued almost conversationally. "I almost forgot to tell you. Recently, there have been these really gigantic waves coming from god knows where. Sea undercurrent change like there's no tomorrow. Sometimes I can't even get the men to Del Costa without some equipment getting damaged by the strong currents. Fishing has not been very good as well. Something's scaring the fishes. The world is going insane"

The ex-trooper felt his stomach gave an unexpected twist as he listened to what the old man had to say about the sudden change in the tides. His friends also listened intently beside him. Cid and Cloud exchanged looks when the captain finished, both highlighting a phrase the old man has said.

{Something is scaring the fishes}

Yufifie rolled her eyes impatiently. "Shall we get moving or shall we wait till the WEAPONs decides to drop in for a spot of tea?"

"Kids" Cid muttered under his breath. "A bundle of ill temper"

"So like you, wouldn't you say old man?" the ninja girl shot back mischievously.

Cloud grinned watching the blonde captain chase the youth towards the underwater port. He gave the captain standing next to him an apologetic look. "Sorry, those two…" he paused, searching for the right words. "Well, ……are always like that"

"I shall leave the crew at your disposal then" the captain's eyes sparkled with laughter as he walked away.

Cloud turned to Cait Sith and Red who were quietly enjoying the drama that just enfolded. Red smirked at the departing figures as Cloud wondered if he could tie his friends at the tips of Wutai's pagoda and leave them there. The blonde ex-trooper racked his fingers through his hair.

"I will follow Cid and Yuffie. You guys can get moving first. We will meet back at Neo Midgar to report" 

"There is a large possibility that the WEAPONs are alive" Red replied, stating what Cloud was afraid to say out loud.

The blonde slowly nodded. "I know"

There was long silence. Cloud pulled himself together and shook away his fears. With much effort, he smiled "We can always hope for the best right? Now I better run after Yuffie and Cid before they get themselves into trouble"

Red stared after the retreating figure. "You haven't told him about the masamune yet?" the beast questioned his silent companion.

The mog uttered a small sigh. "Call me gutless but I just can't seem to find the nerve. Especially since its hidden here"

"Cloud will find out sooner or later. It's just the matter of time" Red advised in a kindly manner, putting one paw onto the ship's deck.

"I plan to tell him in Neo Midgar" the little cat hesitated. "Think he will take it well? Or would be like me and consider it as a bad omen?"

Red peered out into the blue ocean. The blue waters were as blue as the skies above it. He let his head drop onto his paws while the engines began churning the waves. The ship sliced through the water, exiting the docks.

"I don't know, Reeve. I don't know"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud studiously avoided the marching soldiers during his journey to the underwater port. He was uncertain why but he had never felt comfortable being within their presence ever since he quitted the force. Swiftly, the ex-trooper made his way down the lifts and through the glass tunnels. Just as he was about to activate the panel to allow him access to the underwater port, Cloud heard someone franticly calling his name.

"Sir! Wait! Sir! Mr Cloud Sir!"

The blonde ex-trooper paused for moment and glanced at the speaker. The man, around his mid thirties, stopped directly in front of him. He wore a standard suit that only workers from the top levels wore. Well brushed with not a wrinkle in sight, the man looked terribly out of place as he heaved from the unusual exercise while his hair tumbled wildly against his forehead. Cloud waited patiently until the man got breath back.

"Sir, I mean Mr. Cloud.." the man began"

"Cloud, just Cloud" the blonde ex-trooper replied automatically. Cloud could never adjust hearing people calling him 'Mr. Cloud'. It sounded weird to his ears.

"Uh Mr..I mean Cloud, " the man stammered awkwardly. "Cloud sir…uh.."

"Doesn't matter. What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Ah yes" the man looked glad that the issue was discarded. "I was asked to give you this report that has to be passed on to Reeve"

"Information?"

"I don't know, sir. It's confidential. Top military secret."

Cloud looked at the man curiously. "If it's so, why pass it on to me? Why not though the military lines straight back to Neo Midgar?"

"Reeve has given command half of the military troops to protect Nibelhiem, if I am not mistaken" he shook his head "Now everyone is trying to fill in the empty places, the lines are…in a rather….haywire condition"

"I see"

"I am not certain why would some legendary sword be so particularly important but…"

"Sword?" Cloud's full attention flung fully on the man in front of him. "What sword are you talking about"

"I -don't -k-know, sir. I only heard bits from my superior."

{Report}

{Highly Confidential}

{Legendary Sword}

{No…it can't be}

Ignoring the man's protests, Cloud ripped open the sealed report. Almost furiously the blue eyes scanned the paper with frightening intensity.

 

REPORT 001

DATE- X DAY Y TIME

TO - PRESIDENT, REEVE

FROM - JUNON MILITARY PROTECTION UNIT

STATUS - HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

**Reporting as command. Sword recognized as MASAMUNE has been placed under Junon military unit for 24 hours surveillance. Awaiting further orders**

 

Cloud grip on the paper tightened. His mind was dreadfully blanked refusing to allow any image or sound to penetrate his consciousness. The scant words printed on the short slip of paper were enough to revive long suppressed nightmares. His fingers slight tremble went unnoticed as two voices echoed continuously in his head.

{They found the sword…}

{But didn't it disappear along with….}

{They found the sword…}

{That doesn't mean he is alive!!}

{They found the sword….}

{Reeve knows about this. Why didn't he tell me?..}

{They found the sword…}

{I should ask….no, I need to know…I need to confirm…..}

"Sir?"

The man found him pinned by a pair of dark phantom blue eyes. Cloud inhaled a deep breath. He glanced at the report for the second time before making a decision. Firmly he tore his gaze away and forced his voice to be steady. Focussing his attention on the man in front of him, Cloud carefully constructed the words to speak as intelligently as his current state of mind would allow him to be.

"Listen, I want you to go inside there" the blonde ex-trooper gestured to the entrance of the underwater port. "There will be two people onboard submarine 1064. Tell them I wouldn't be joining them and instead will meet them back in Neo Midgar. You got that?"

"Yes, sir"

Without waiting for another moment, Cloud strode off with the report still in his grasp.

{Why am I so scared?..}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reeve blinked tiredly at the controls. With a half-hearted gesture, he flipped the power off and all communications linking to Cait Sith began to systematically shut off. The dark eyes watched the blinking lights fade one by one. Slowly, the president of Shinra massaged his temples trying to straighten the new problems were just beginning to surface. Red and him found the Sapphire WEAPON just as they predicted they would. It was almost hilarious how easy it was to spot the giant monster. Reeve immediately placed a direct order to Junon Coastline to ensure that no fishermen, or anyone for that matter, be allowed to cross the continent until the seas were declared safe.

The red light on his PHS lit up and a small beeping filled the silent room. Reaching out, he snatched up the small machine.

"Yes? Reeve here" Through the communicating machine he could hear the sound of the tracking of a submarine. "Cid?"

"Reeve? Shit Cid! Can't you steer this thing straight?!"

"What is it, Yuffie?"

"Have you seen Cloud? Ugh, I am getting sick…"

The president startled. "What do you mean? Isn't he with you?"

"Nope, some guy came around and pass us a message saying Cloud wasn't joining us after all. We thought he went back to Neo Midgar"

"He is not here"

There was a little scuffle at the background. Reeve could hear Cid's voice for a moment. From the small scuffle, Reeve wondered if the ninja girl had taken the opportunity to use the barf bag yet again. The girl coughed a few times, static brushed through the small speakers. Yuffie breathed a few things about the reception and speaking.

"Oh, maybe this can help cause it didn't make any sense to us. The man muttered something about report?"

"What!! SHIT!"

"It meant something?"

"Yes, it does" Reeve shoved a few papers agitatedly. "It means Cloud knows about the masamune"

"You are telling me you did -not- tell him? REEVE YOU IDIOT!"

"I know it’s a lame excuse but I wasn't sure if he could take it. Not with all this crap happening" The president slumped into his chair feeling absolutely depressed.

Yuffie paused over the communication. "Knowing Cloud he might be at North Crater though I don't think you wanna disturb him"

"Yes, I think I -know- that" Reeve muttered sarcastically.

"Snapping at me won't help, ya know" she replied. "Get your ass up in gear, PHS him then meet him in that stupid freezing village!"

"Icicle Village?"

"Yeah, whatever that place is called. I just got beeped by Tifa and Co. Ruby is alive and well." Reeve uttered a curse under his breath.

"Yea, I totally agree with ya on that" Yuffie said enthusiastically. "Anyways before I get to sick to talk, Tifa is heading your direction. Red's with them if you get my drift."

"So I 'hitch' a ride with them to Icicle Village"

"Uh huh. I think Cloud's opinion on face to face explanations is pretty much similar. I gotta go now, meet ya over there! Over!"

Reeve stared as the red light blinked a couple more times and sighed. Cloud definitely needed to hear his explanation as fast as possible. The sooner the better so they could concentrate on the more important problem. He was pretty sure there was no point in brooding on the world's greatest villain six months after the guy's death. Unless the youth had still things left unsolved since the dark day they had managed to save the world.

Reeve wondered what little pieces of the past Cloud had yet told them about.

Now once he thought about it, the blonde ex-trooper never mention much about his life's history except for the important bits. If he placed them altogether, it only filled up a tiny scrap about the vague things Cloud had done during just a handful of days as a trooper. Nothing about his days as a trainee nor the SOLDIER recruit exams he had surely faced although for some sort of reason failed. The ex-trooper had told them about what happen after the Nibelhiem burning along with Zack's brutal death. Reeve frowned pondering how did Cloud managed to get inside Nibelhiem unaided while mako poison coursed through his veins. It was pretty unbelievable.

The small clock on his desk chimed.

Reeve blinked yet again, scolding himself for letting his thoughts drift.

"Concentrate, Reeve."

The president of Shinra heaved a groan, pushing himself out of the chair. "When am I ever going to learn it pays to tell the truth sometimes no matter how harsh the situation is?" he asked himself wearily. A certain female who had a protective streak a mile wide when concerning Cloud was going to kill him as soon as the news hit her ears.

Grabbing the handy heavy wool sweater he always kept on a peg several paces away from his desk in fear of a sudden chill, Reeve exited his office and headed towards the balcony where he waited until Highwind arrived.


The end of Part 2 of Chapter 2

NOTE TO ALL READERS

Please be noted that the story takes place 6 months after the game. There is also a YAOI content. So to all readers who do not approve to such pairing or dislike the idea, do should not read anymore than chapter 4 or 5. The authors will not entertain any flames or complains concerning the yaoi pairing/pairings involved in the fanfic.

Thankyou