Repeated Past

By: De Mouse

: K-chan


Standard Disclaimer: The characters used this fanfic are owned and copyright by Squaresoft. The characters are used without permission. This series is only made for entertainment use and does not make any profits of any kind. Any original characters are copyrighted to the authors. Changes in this fanfic can occur without any warning. Please bear in mind that the story contains yaoi, violence and adult language for that matter.

Comments can be sent to Mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com or K-chan at karina_lye@yahoo.com .Any flames about the yaoi coupling in this fanfic will not be entertained.

[Warning, spoilers for the game]

"-" conversations
{-} personal thoughts
italic flashbacks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[CHAPTER 2: HIDDEN MENACE]

[PART 3: TAKING A STROLL DOWN MEMORY LANE]

The winds whipped the blonde strands of hair as the figure remained standing alone. Behind him, the sun was gently sinking low in the horizon. Gold wisps of light lazily lingered while the sky turned a shade of bloody red. The slight tinge of deep blue was already slowly engulfing the white clouds. Everything was quiet except the mournful howling of the winds. A solitary shadow cast among the uneven surface of the crater.

"I want to be like the Great Sephiroth!"

"Hah! You? Little twit? Don't make me laugh!"

"Just you wait till I come back! I will prove you wrong!" Childish but stubborn determination that would not be swayed…..

/That's how it all started…/

Cloud smiled wistfully remembering his childhood years in Nibelhiem. Always being the odd one out with his peers. Always casually forgotten in any event. The elders called him a juvenile who had a tendency to get into trouble about a mile wide. Others commented about a certain silent and seemingly anti-social blonde haired boy.

The smile grew more wistful.

They couldn't see the obvious fact. Strip away all the defensive layers to find a small lonely boy who wanted desperately to fit in but just didn't know how.

/To belong…..but of course, they never made an effort to find out/

So the boy decided to gain attention by joining the SOLDIER. To be the best among the best, to impress his so-called-friends at home in hopes of receiving a little of their friendship. Travelling towards Midgar to achieve his 'childhood dreams'.

Several years ago, he would have thought the decision he made, based on his reason to join the Shinra troopers, were appropriate.

/How time changes a person…/

Now when he recalled back why he wanted to become a First Class SOLDIER, Cloud found it rather ridiculous. The nostalgic smile on his lips turned bittersweet.

He turned his attention back to the present. Crouching, Cloud absently picked up a handful of sand. The blue eyes scanned the snow-covered grounds below him before moving towards the sudden drop in the ground. Cloud clearly remembered the presence that dominated the air six months ago. There was not a trace of it left.

The ex-trooper uttered a sigh in relieve.

/Sephiroth…/

His mind unexpectedly jerked away from the name. It hurt to think of the silver haired man. He once felt almost like a child whose idol had suddenly turned into an unspeakable demon. Somehow, the phrase ironically suited him. Then the ex-trooper stopped to view his opinions more clearly.

In an instant Cloud lifted an eyebrow.

/Me? A child?/

The blonde snorted, near laughter.

/Lacking the innocence, no doubt….child, yeah right!/

The ex-trooper gazed far away. His blue eyes distant. Firmly he squashed the fear that welled up at the thought of the silver haired man alive.

/He is dead, the sword turning up must have been just a coincidence/

At least that was one less worry on his mind.

He let the sand trickle out of his palm. The brownish gold dirt scattered all over the rocky earth. Distracted by his own train of thoughts, Cloud pushed himself onto his feet and gazed at the crimson sky. His watch told him he still had a few more minutes till Reeve arrived. Running his fingers through his hair, the blonde ex-trooper began to pick his way towards the Icicle Village.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Quit puking around and get your ass over here!"

"Shut up, old man!"

Cid glared at the ninja girl who stumbled back to the co-pilot seat. Taking another drag on his cigar, he flipped at the controls languidly before staring in apparent satisfaction at the screen. The Highwind captain had single handedly manipulated the submarine out of Junon's Underwater Port about an hour ago.

The machines hummed silently as the sub sliced cleaning through the water.

He glanced at the radar again. There was no change in its pattern. The Highwind captain balanced the cigar between his lips wondering if it was a good thing or a bad one. In the background, he could hear Yuffie fiddling with the PHS. Fortunately even under water, the gadget's reception was still passable although there were times when harsh static flooded the line.

Quietly, Cid listened to Yuffie lecturing Reeve over the PHS. He smirked but couldn't help feeling worried. The sooner Reeve explained to Cloud how the masamune got into their hands, the better. The blonde ex-trooper was still rather touchy when it came to anything concerning Sephiroth. He steered the sub pass a few cluster of rocks. Carefully he navigated it towards the sunken plane.

Suddenly a slight scream erupted from the PHS.

"Yuffie, what the hell?" Cid demanded fully aware of the annoyed tone in his voice.

The ninja girl clung onto the communicating gadget for several seconds. Her face white as she listened to the sounds coming from it. Cid managed to pick up a few very panicky screams and someone hollering something that sounded like 'retreat'.

"Yuffie!"

"I think they just found Sapphire"

"Shit!" He muttered a few more curses.

"Reeve and gang are safe. They managed to get away, old man" the ninja girl supplied him a moment later. She offered him a weak grin. "But Reeve just got some really bad news"

"Yeah? What kinda bad news?" the Highwind captain's eyes sharpened "What happened to Vincent's team?"

"They are in one piece but Ruby decided to get a swipe at your ship"

"Vincent…" Cid stopped for a heartbeat then muttered. "I mean, they, gods be damned, better be in one piece"

Yuffie gave her companion an odd look. She was fully prepared for the Highwind captain to burst into a fit after announcing the news. Or something close to that but certainly not asking about a certain brooding comrade. Feeling like she had missed something, Yuffie locked the PHS on the belt around her waist. Her gaze fleeted at the screen where she caught a full view of the Shinra sunken plane. The outer layer of metal, rusted by the ocean water, looked as though it was about to crumble at any minute.

"Looks like it's only Emerald left…." Cid commented, turning the sub away from the plane's watery grave. "Think we will find--?…..woah! SHIT!!!"

The ninja girl caught a glimpse of a huge figure looming over their submarine. The greenish hue on its armor gave her a good hint on what it was. The sub gave a sharp jerk as it slammed into the rocky surface behind it. Her heart stopped when she realized that they were cornered.

Just as she thought the situation couldn't get any worse, a red light beneath her palm sprang into life.

They were out of fuel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The place was so dusty.

It's condition almost rivaled to Shinra Mansion in Nibelhiem. The wooden floor was covered with several layers of gray dirt while a moth eaten carpet lay pathetically near the entrance. Odd-looking machines sat silently in the dark corners. A tall shelf stood among an impressive mess of books.

Cloud touched the dirty panel with one finger leaving a mark.

The whole place was still untouched. The ex-trooper found it slightly puzzling the villagers had not pulled the abandoned house down. He stared at the faint light coming from the hole in the ceiling. Maybe it was because of the peaceful atmosphere that illuminated this little place.

Maybe because it was marked as a grave to a doomed pair of lovers and their daughter.

He wasn't sure.

/the ANCIENTS/

He felt like he was reopening old wounds. It was a very long time since he visited this particular home. Cloud silently watched the dim lights play with the shadows. He had avoided this place until now.

/Afraid of ghosts from the past, Strife? /

If so, why was he here?

Carefully, he retraced his footsteps back to the entrance. He did not want to answer that question yet. The answer was still clouded over by gray mists of uncertainty. Besides, if his senses were correct, Reeve and company should be already arriving in Highwind. Knowing the president, he would be at the inn, hiding away from the chill.

The ex-trooper grasped the cooper handle of the door.

He took one glance over his shoulder. Then his eyes narrowed onto the floor. There was an extra pair of footprints imprinted along with his own. Automatically his trooper skills kicked in as he took note of the marks. Measuring their size, it must have belonged to an adult who was a little taller than the blonde ex-trooper.

/Maybe six feet? /

It was a rough guess but he should be almost correct. He blinked at the footprints again. They looked recent as though they were made a day earlier.

Cloud shrugged to himself. A curious villager must have wandered into the house.

He paused again.

The normal height for the Icicle Villagers was about a little shorter than his own height. The blonde ex-trooper had not seen any villagers who were his height or any taller than him.

/A traveler perhaps? /

Wondering why did he concern himself with such fickle matters, Cloud exited the house and stepped into the cold air. It was still snowing. A blast of freezing breeze hit him fully on the face. Cloud grimaced as it reminded him the clothes that he was wearing did not suit the weather climate. Wrapping his arms around himself, the blonde youth hurried towards the inn.

When he stepped into the brightly-lit house, Cloud brushed off the snow in his hair. A slight look of disapproval aimed at his snow covered boots from the innkeeper cause a few hurried but through stamps on the doormat.

"Welcome to Icicle Inn" the fat lady chirped after he finished getting the snow off his boots. "Seems like people keeps coming in these few days. I can't complain of course, business has never been better"

"Oh really?"

"Yes, sir. Just a few days ago a mighty handsome lad stayed here" She winked at Cloud. "Looks a few years older than you though. He was pretty good with kids, would have made a good husband. Wonder is he tied up to anyone yet."

Cloud fought the unknown urge to blush.

"Oh well back to business. Will you be staying for the night, sir?"

"Uh, me? No" Cloud shook his head. "But has anyone of the name Cait Sith arrived?"

"No, sir" the lady took a quick look at his profile. "You are Mister Cloud perhaps?"

"Yes"

"Ah" a bright smile rivaling to the light coming from the lanterns appeared on her red cheeks. She gestured towards the door onto her left. "A Mister Reeve is waiting for you in the tavern"

Cloud nodded his thanks and headed towards the direction she waved at. It was easy to spot Reeve who was sitting in a corner. The ex-trooper almost laughed as he realized his friend was trying his hardest to not attract attention while also blending in with the rowdy crowd. Both actions being the complete opposite of each other looked rather odd when placed together.

/I guess being the president is not very easy/

He pulled out a chair next to his friend and nodded in greeting. Before Reeve could open his mouth, Cloud raised a hand to stop the undeserved apology that was about to be delivered.

"It's ok, Reeve" Cloud shrugged. "Don't apologize. I shouldn't have acted so hastily anyway"

"But…" the president tried again.

"I shouldn't have overreacted just because of a sword" Cloud smiled slightly. "Just don't leave me out on details like that next time"

"Of course." Reeve returned his smile.

"We have not heard from Cid and Yuffie yet" A growl interrupted them.

Red padded towards them. His flame tail swung rather agitatedly in the air. The beast's face was decidedly irritated as he shook off some snow from his rusty colored mane.

Cloud blinked amusedly at his friend's features. Even though Red possessed more intelligence than the whole group put together, like any feline, he disliked the water and snow with a vengeance.

"They still haven't contact us" Red stated again, stopping in front of them. He winced slightly from the men who were having a noisy drinking contest at the other end of the room.

"It has been an hour and a half" Cloud replied after glancing at his watch.

"Tifa and Barret has tried getting them on the PHS from Highwind a few minutes ago" Red's gold eyes narrowed worriedly. "They couldn't get through."

"Hunting for Emerald shouldn't take this long" Reeve drummed his fingers on the table.

"Unless the WEAPON found them" Cloud thoughtfully muttered as he stood. "The rest of the WEAPONs has already turned up. Emerald should be revived as well."

"Should I call Junon and get a submarine ready?" Reeve inquired, getting up from his chair.

"Yes"

In a split moment, they were already in Highwind. Cloud swiftly told the pilot their next destination. At once, the airship, living up to her name, was flying towards Junon at a neck breaking speed.

Reeve disappeared into the room where communicating machinery was for a moment before appearing again.

"Submarine will be ready as soon as we get there" he informed Cloud.

The blonde ex-trooper nodded. "Good. We will also have to get you back to Neo Midgar. If you remained here, Cait Sith cannot be activated."

"We will be passing Neo Midgar in a few moments. Just drop me off outside the city"

"Fine. You find Red and tell him to be prepared in case we have to fight the WEAPON" Cloud turned around to inform the pilot.

"I shall go with you" a quiet voice stated.

The blonde ex-trooper blinked at the longhaired man who just entered the room.

"Vincent"

"If you fight the Emerald WEAPON, include me" Vincent clarified his intention.

Cloud hesitated and gazed at the ex-Turk. The dark longhaired man looked calm like he was every day but his crimson eyes were filled with unspoken emotion. The blonde ex-trooper blinked again. Was he mistaken but did he just saw worry that clouded the normally expressionless red eyes?

/He is worried? That's unusual/

"Red, you and me will fight Emerald if we have to then" Cloud replied easily. He watched his friend's features carefully. The longhaired ex-Turk looked rather paler than he usually was. Before he could voice out his question, Reeve was already well ahead of him.

"Vincent? Are you well? You look rather tired" the president frowned. "Not to insult but you look weary since the fight in Nibelhiem"

"I am just little tired" the longhaired ex-Turk flicked absently at his cape.

"I guess we are all tired" Cloud smiled wearily. "Hunting WEAPONs all day"

Vincent offered him a thin but non the less a smile.

"Sir" a pilot addressed Cloud. "Neo Midgar, sir"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shit!"

Cid glared at the exit of the Sunken Plane then at his soaked trousers. Yuffie stood next to him, her fingers nervously gripped the Conformer. The water rippled as the iron walls trembled. The ninja girl bit her lip.

The Highwind captain had managed to land the submarine into the Sunken Plane without provoking the WEAPON to attack. Somewhere between the time when they managed to board the Sunken Plane and getting off the submarine, the Emerald WEAPON started slamming itself onto the plane.

Another dull thud echoed through the passage.

"What the hell is that bloody thing doing?!" Cid demanded.

"Trying to kill us?" Yuffie retorted.

"Yea, and the planet got it's programming all screwed. I would love to think of myself as a threat to the planet"

"Right"

The water rippled once more.

The Highwind captain eyed the walls that kept the water from entering the plane. Sure they couldn't hold on forever if that WEAPON kept ramming against the iron walls but the big question was how long would they hold.

Cid chewed on the ends of his cigar.

The submarine was still in working condition but there was not enough fuel to get them back to the Junon Underwater Port. Problem number one. Cid frowned harder. There was a possibility on sending the submarine straight up to the surface without using fuel. That would lead them to problem two. Even if they did get out and get above the water, the submarine would just float in the ocean until someone picked them up.

Which was something Cid did -not- want since Sapphire was somewhere swimming happily around.

With a scowl, Cid noted the water level was slowly rising. If they didn't scram soon, they were going to drown. A wiry grin tugged at his lips. "Talk about being between the devil and the deep blue sea" he murmured to himself.

"You got a plan, old man?" Yuffie asked. She also had noticed the water level.

"We gotta split but with that bloody thing outside…." Cid leaned on Venus Gospel. Fighting the WEAPON with such few numbers was suicide. "Ya sure that damn PHS is not working?"

As if in reply, a thick static buzzed out of the mentioned gadget. The Highwind captain hid a wince.

"Shit"

"Yeah, I agree"

The water lingered around his mid thigh. He lightly touched the tips of his spear. The metal was as sharp as skill could horn it to be. It felt cold like the water that was surrounding him. Yuffie fell silent as she wondered the odds that were against them.

Cid lifted up his head. "Hear that, kid?"

"Hear what?" Yuffie snapped, feeling annoyed being called a kid.

"Damn thing ain't whacking its brains on the plane anymore"

The water had remained still for almost five minutes. Cid jumped onto his feet.

"Let's get moving"

"But what if its still outside, waiting for us?"

"Then I rather take the chance" the Highwind captain paused to pull the ninja girl towards the submarine. "Better than dying in here and let this opportunity slip past my fingers. Ya not chickening out on me are you, brat?"

"I am NOT, old man"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud stared over the deck rails of Highwind. He could see nothing but the dark shadows below him. Sometimes the moon would peek out from the dark clouds and casts it's reflection on the ocean waters.

The ex-trooper felt the cold night breeze fluttering past his ear like a lover's whisper. He shivered slightly at the chill. Carefully he noted the scent in the air. It smelt of salt water. Cloud thanked the stars silently. At least it was not going to rain.

They were almost at Junon. The whole trip took around five minutes even at full speed. Cloud's lips thinned grimly.

/Hope Cid and Yuffie are alright/

"Almost there, Spike"

"Yeah Barret, I know." the ex-trooper replied without turning around.

"Shit, we seemed to be running into bad luck for two days straight"

"Seemed like forever, doesn't it?" Cloud wearily ran his fingers through his hair. It was a habit he never seemed to be able to stop.

"Sorta, damn Ruby nearly gave me a freaking heart failure" Barret waved at the impressive dent on the deck. Cloud lifted an eye at the damage. It was surprising Highwind could still function even when hit with something that massive.

"Cid ain't gonna be a happy camper when he sees this" the broad shouldered man chuckled.

"Mostly likely he is going to start hollering when he first notices it." Cloud replied, allowing a faint smile.

"Yea, not surprising for Cid, eh? Vincent seemed preoccupied"

"Vincent?" the ex-troopers tone startled.

"Ya haven't noticed?" Barret shot him a look of surprise. "Really Spike, I thought damn better of ya. Ol Vincent has gone to his dark brooding habits since Cid and Yuffie lost contact. Damn he looks paler than usual."

Cloud frowned. He -had- noticed Vincent being paler than normal but it was new news to hear that his friend had gone back to brooding silently. His mind shuffled through all the reasons why his longhaired friend would do so.

/Unless Vincent is…./

The blonde ex-trooper's eyes widen.

/that can't be. Vincent couldn't…..wait, Vincent could!"

"What the hell is passing through ya spikey head? You look like ya just swallowed a whale whole"

"Huh? Uh, nothing, Barret." Cloud shook his head, trying to wipe off the look of pure shock and the foolish grin that followed it. It was just a thought and couldn't be necessarily true. There was something he needed to ask Cid when the time came. It could prove a very interesting teasing subject.

"Spike? Ain't that something down there?"

"What?" Cloud squinted at the dark water. "I can't……hold on, I think you are right"

"Turn on those damn search lights! And get them to stop the ship over there!" Barret hollered at one of the co-pilots.

"Yes, sir" the man nodded before disappearing.

Almost immediately a strong beam cut past the black shadows. Cloud could see something surfacing on the ocean surface. It was too small to be a WEAPON. His heart leaped as the dull shape of a standard Junon submarine appeared into view.

Highwind hovered closer and the ex-trooper saw a blonde head along with a pair of arms waving at their direction. Swiftly, he threw down the rope ladder. Cloud watch it unravel until it came to a halt, it's tips just touching the ocean waves.

"Cid" Cloud yelled, trying to make his voice heard over the loud humming of the engines. "Grab it!"

The blonde ex-trooper instantly felt like an idiot after the words passed his lips. Cid flipped him off with one hand as though saying 'you don't have to tell me that, I am not stupid' while grasping the ladder with his other hand. The Highwind captain made Yuffie climb the ladder first before he followed.

It wasn't until Cid and Yuffie managed to drag themselves onboard, Cloud started to breath again. By then the whole gang was already on the deck helping them up.

"Shit" Cid gasped, his clothes were soaking wet. "Bloody WEAPON"

Yuffie groaned. "I -never- want to see a submarine again"

"Well, welcome back" Cloud grinned, pulling Cid onto his feet.

"Looks like I will have to sent someone to get the submarine in the morning" Cait Sith cocked his head to one side as the little cat stared at the sub a few hundred meters away. The waves already pulled it further into the sea.

"Screw the sub" Cid snapped looking for the world like a drowned cat. His eyes traveled up the dent that 'decorated' his airship. "Shit, that dent is gonna take weeks to repair"

Tifa gently touched the ninja girl's shoulder. "What happened?"

"We got cornered by Emerald in the Sunken Plane" Cid answered before Yuffie could. He squeezed some water out of his shirt while muttering something about his favorite boots being ruined. "The damn thing started banging on the plane like there was no tomorrow."

"So how did you get out?"

"That's the weird part." Cid took out a packet of cigars. His face wrinkled up in disgust as he pulled out a soggy cigar. Not missing a beat, the Highwind captain stuffed them back into his pockets. "It just went away"

"Something like that" Yuffie elaborated. The ninja girl kicked off her wet shoes and pulled at her socks. "We got on the sub. It was still staring straight at us. It was freaky. For a moment I thought it was about to attack when suddenly it just turned around and swam away"

"That's…..freaking strange" Barret dryly commented.

"Nothing happens without a reason" Vincent quietly muttered.

Cloud froze. Somewhere in his head, a voice was screaming a warning. It rang clear and sharp in his mind. Instinct pulled urgently at him. The ex-trooper narrowed his blue eyes at the calm waves several feet below them. Something was about to happen.

"Get Highwind moving"

"Cloud?" Tifa's voice questioning.

"Tell the pilot to get Highwind away from here -now-" Cloud directing his order at a young man wearing a worker's uniform.

The rockets blasted as the airship sprang back to life. Highwind managed to move a few meters away from their previous position when the sea turned violent. Like a huge plate of earth had suddenly been moved.

A strong wind leaped out from nowhere and howled across the ocean, hitting the airship in its wake.

Cloud stared at the dark waters below them. If they had looked uninviting a few minutes ago, it didn't come close to what it was now. Inky black waves raged with unspeakable anger. He watched them crash at the Junon shores. White foam contrasted sharply against the dark background.

Far away to the north something glowed a shade of brilliant green. The glow continued for a few seconds before a blast of energy broke through the air. Highwind spun wildly in the air as an explosion blew over the land. The earth trembled as a green energy force spiraled up into the sky like a huge serpent.

/The lifestream? /

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ok, so now we are talking about another world crisis?" Yuffie exclaimed indignantly.

Dried and warm, the ninja girl was comfortably sitting down drinking a hot cup of tea as they discussed what had happened. Cid sat on a lumpy couch on the other side of the room. The steaming mug cradled with both hands as he listened to the discussion.

"Most probably. The signs were the same as the last time" Red replied. "WEAPONs appearing, mako reaction…..it fits."

"Bloody hell" Barret cursed.

"But what's the cause? Jenova and Sephiroth are dead" Tifa pondered. "What can be a threat to be planet? Shinra is not sucking up any more mako from the lifestream"

Cait Sith nodded in agreement.

"That shortens our list considerably" Vincent muttered.

"Unless.." Red paused thoughtfully. "Maybe the lifestream has an excessive amount of mako which caused this reaction."

"Mind clarifying that theory?" the ninja girl prompted Red.

"Years back, Shinra has been draining mako from wherever they can find it. Then suddenly we come along and stop the usage of mako. It changes the whole environment of the lifestream. Naturally the planet finds itself with a massive amount that it was not used to. Unable to contain it or adapt to it, my guess is the planet released it. That sudden energy blast. That's what happened" the beast gazed steadily back at his companions.

"So this time we are the planet's enemies?" Tifa frowned.

"No, the WEAPONs didn't go around attacking humans" Cait Sith replied.

"But Emerald wanted to make us pancakes" Yuffie spluttered.

"Every living creature is rather territorial" Red pointed out.

"So the fact remains that there is still a threat to the planet somewhere out there" Cloud stated, raking his hands through his hair.

"The fact still remains, yes" Red echoed him.

"There is a few things that might help" Cait Sith interrupted. "Remember those papers we got from Nibelhiem? Well much of it is still under translations but it roughly shows that recently someone has been experimenting monsters with mako. The procedure looks somewhat like the one they used for SOLDIER"

"That ain't good to hear" Barret cursed.

"I guess that's all we have" Cloud rubbed his temples. "We have been blown off track. The radar just been fixed and the pilot just informed me that we were heading at the wrong direction for a couple of hours."

"So where the hell are we now?" Cid demanded.

"Where the Temple used to be." Cloud couldn't help but wince. They were really off course. "Get some rest. It's been a long day. Tomorrow we will be in Neo Midgar. Hopefully something will turn up"

The group quietly exited the room in search for some well-deserved sleep. The blonde ex-trooper stared in surprise at Cid who was still sitting on the couch, seeping at his drink.

"Aren't you going to rest?" Cloud asked.

"Nah, too much on my mind now. Ya would think a year free of trouble is too much to ask"

"A little" the ex-trooper admitted.

"Besides I am getting too old for this" Cid joked as he took another sip from his mug. "Damn monsters and all, freaking high time for another hero gang to take over eh? Give us a chance to build some sort of family"

Cloud ignored the pun intended at him. "Speaking of families, when did you and Vincent become a couple?"

The Highwind captain came -this- close to spitting out his mouthful of coffee. Gulping down the steamy liquid, he managed to croak out a reply

"Woah!! How the hell did you know? Did Sheera tell you?"

"Just a lucky guess I suppose" Cloud shrugged. "Vincent was brooding when you were not here. He was extremely worried when you didn't contact us back. Then I remembered you saying something about letting him stay at your place"

"Shit kid. You are getting sharper each day"

"So how long has it been?"

"Few months already. Didn't want to tell the others since it's pretty new. Ya the first ta guess"

"Sheera doesn't mind?" Cloud asked lifting an eyebrow. He knew Cid's co-worker had a sort of crush on the Highwind captain.

"Nope, the girl's got her eyes set on some engineer" Cid laughed.

"That's good to know"

"Ya seem to be excepting it ok. Thought ya would be one of those that runs screaming from those who say they ain't straight." Cid lifted an eyebrow at the blonde ex-trooper.

"I don't know. Guess it never bothered me, now anyway" Cloud frowned, thinking hard.

"Care to elaborate?"

"Maybe when I was younger it might have disturbed me a great deal." Cloud wrinkled up his nose as he searched through the memories. "Guess I got over it or something"

"Tifa would be surprise"

"Most likely" the ex-trooper confessed. "Guess I am more lenient than others"

The two froze when a scream rang from the upper deck. The deck was empty except two figures in the middle of the room. Both ran out to find Tifa keeling over a huddled figure on the floor. Cloud felt his heart stop as he realized the blood red cape lying limply on the ground partially covering its owner.

"Vincent" he breathed in shock.

"He fell." Tifa cried out. "He was fine then he crumpled onto the floor"

Cid was already on the floor pulling the unconscious man up. Vincent was shivering uncontrollably while his lips formed words they could not understand. The Highwind captain held the longhaired man in his arms. The color of Vincent's skin was shockingly pale under Cid's tan hand. A worried look crossed his features.

"Damn it! He is burning up! What the hell is wrong with him?!" he shot Tifa a glare.

"We were talking then he just collapsed" The longhaired woman wrung her gloved hands nervously while shaking her dark head.

"Mako poisoning." Cloud remembered the familiar symptoms Cid had shown not too long ago.

"Mako what?!" The other two yelled.

"I thought Vincent was immune to this kinda crap!" the Highwind captain cursed, his arms tightened protectively around the unconscious man.

"It's mako poison" Cloud's voice was monotone. Tifa looked up towards him then at the shivering man. A look of recognition passed through her face. "Cloud's right."

"There is not time to waste. We need to get him to a doctor" Cloud paused, his mind working out the sudden change of plans and adapting to them. "Neo Midgar is too far away. Mideel is not too far off. I think we can get there in time. Make sure Vincent keeps warm, Tifa tell the others about the slight change of plan."

Cid easily lifted Vincent into his arms. Tifa quickly strode off.

"Hey, don't worry." Cloud patted Cid comfortingly on the shoulder. "He will pull through like you did"

The Highwind captain did not reply but he nodded gratefully.


The end of Part 3 of Chapter 2

NOTE TO ALL READERS

Please be noted that the story takes place 6 months after the game. There is also a YAOI content. So to all readers who do not approve to such pairing or dislike the idea, please do not continue reading. The authors will not entertain any flames or complains concerning the yaoi pairing/pairings involved in the fanfic.

Thankyou