Repeated Past

By: Mouse-chan

: K-chan


Standard Disclaimer: The characters used this fanfic are owned and copyright by Squaresoft. The characters are used without permission. This series is only made for entertainment use and does not make any profits of any kind. Any original characters are copyrighted to the authors. Changes in this fanfic can occur without any warning. Please bear in mind that the story contains yaoi, violence and adult language for that matter.

Comments can be sent to Mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com or K-chan at

karina_lye@yahoo.com .Any flames about the yaoi coupling in this fanfic will not be entertained.

[Warning, spoilers for the game]

"-" conversations
{-} personal thoughts
italic flashbacks


[CHAPTER 2: HIDDEN MENACE]

[PART 4: THE FIRST MEETING]

Cloud trod down the ramp rather wearily. His footsteps dragged slightly causing the wooden surface to creak in protest. He was exhausted. The ache in his overused limbs had multiplied over the handful of minutes. The pressure on his temples weren't really helping either.

They had just reached Mideel in time.

The blonde haired ex-trooper wordlessly thanked the skies above him.

Vincent was immediately placed in the hands of the doctor in charge. The group had stayed for a little while as they waited for their comrade's health results. Most of the company had stayed outside the little clinic so some privacy could be given to the nurses attending their new patient. Cid had stubbornly but silently paced in the little corridor outside the ward.

Feeling a little more than responsible for his friend, Cloud decided it was best to accompany him.

Unfortunately during that particular duration, a certain Highwind captain went through a huge variety of emotional turmoil. Cid had been annoyed, worried, angry, sad and even berated himself for not able to somehow protect the longhaired ex-Turk. Along the lines, he also somehow managed to add a few interesting curses into his long list of explicates.

Finally the results came out.

Vincent was definitely suffering from mako poisoning but to the group's relief he was steadily recovering. The doctor had confidently stated that within a few hours their companion should be fully recovered from the poison. But till then he should remain in the clinic so as to monitor his condition.

The blonde haired ex-trooper sighed inwardly.

Splitting the team up again proved to be another impossible task. Tired and worried teammates did not bode well with their situation. Cloud barely managed to send Red, Cait Sith and Yuffie back to Neo Midgar to find out some information from the papers they found in Nibelhiem.

He bit his bottom lip.

/I don't know why but…..I feel those papers are a vital clue to this puzzle../

Tifa and Barret stayed on in Mideel to rest up for the night. Cloud pressed that they needed to investigate the sudden burst of energy from North Crater. Underlining the fact that it would be no use to charge towards North Crater without knowing what they were about to face, he suggested they visit Cosmo Canyon again while waiting for some answers from Reeve. Cloud also hoped they could find something useful in Red's hometown.

The group would reassemble there later on in the evening.

Since Cid made it absolutely clear there was no way he would leave Vincent, the blonde ex-trooper left them alone. It was best especially when an agitated and distracted Highwind captain would be a deadly mistake in a battlefield.

Cloud smiled ruefully.

/Hah, like I am no worse than he is…/

He raked his fingers through his hair. Lately he seemed to be easily distracted. His thoughts wandered to the most unimaginable places. Cloud found himself frequently reviewing his past.

/Maybe I am thinking too much…becoming a little nostalgic? /

The blonde ex-trooper frowned.

There was a good chance a world crisis was about to happen and they were still stumbling in the dark in search for potential leads. That and the headache that was threatening to give him a migraine.

All he could comprehend right now was a good night rest. Tifa and Barret were predictably sleeping blissfully in the comforts the inn had provided. His tired body urged him to the empty bed in the inn, which was reserved for him.

There was something that still made him slightly uneasy.

The doctor had carelessly commented about just cured another man who had suffered from similar mako poisoning. His sentence hinted that the man had spectacular healing ability that rivaled to Vincent's. Cloud did not know which troubled him more.

/I should get some rest/

His stomach growled angrily in response.

/Okay, a meal first then some rest/

Cloud looked at the small village that surrounded him.

Mideel was a growing village. Its traits were slightly similar to Nibelhiem in several ways. But unlike his hometown, this little village built at its own pace, not caring about the world's race for improvement. The villagers were closely knitted together like a huge family.

The blonde ex-trooper approached at the small gathering in front of a bonfire. About a handful of adults sat around the flames silently exchanging news while an elderly woman patiently stirred a pot held over the fire. A couple of children laughed as they played under the night's sky. A delicious smell from the black pot wafted over the air.

Cloud smiled at the scene in front of him.

The elderly lady caught his smile and smiled back before handing him a plate of stew. She nodded her head towards the logs some villagers were sitting on.

"Travellers are always welcome to Mideel." she whispered to him warmly.

Cloud nodded his thanks and took a seat farthest away from the rest of the small crowd. Quietly he ate his meal, his stomach happy content after being neglected for almost the whole day. Cloud winced knowing one of his bad habits was forgetting to feed himself when he was preoccupied with something.

Carefully he placed the empty dish onto the grassy floor.

The ex-trooper took the buster sword from its sheath. The gray metal glimmered softly in the moonlight. Cloud ran his fingers absently through the colorful materia that was imbedded along the sword's handle. He suddenly did not want to sleep. The peaceful atmosphere made him yearn for more. Although knowing that it was not a wise decision, the blonde ex-trooper shrugged and decided for once to indulge himself.

/Not the most perfect timing but guess it won't do any harm/

He titled his head slightly.

/When was the last time I sat in front of a fire under the dark sky?…/

Mentally shaking his head, Cloud figured he would give himself a few minutes before retiring to bed. It was not yet late enough to make him weary during next day. That was one of the advantages being a person who needed less sleep compared to the others. He hid a slight grin.

/Along with the training…../

Taking out a rag cloth, he wiped the surface of his sword. A small rustle alerted him that someone had taken a seat on the opposite ends of his rather short log. Cloud ignored the person, presuming whoever it was, was most probably a villager.

With his back turned, a tuneless song rippled through his mind as his hands worked at the metal. He smoothly polished the surface enjoying the movements of his arms. The sword was like the back of his hand. He knew every scratch that ever graced the buster sword.

/But of course…..Zack knows better../

Cloud glanced wistfully into the distance.

Zack, a loyal friend who was always laughing and smiling. Cloud remembered the way the dark haired man mercilessly teased him about everything, from his blonde spiky hair to the way he walked. The slightly hazy memories of them as comrades, Zack somehow finding time in his busy schedule for his friend; always being the one who helped Cloud find his way into the ruthless world of Shinra. Lending him a helpful hand no matter what consequence, Cloud was always grateful for his unflinching friendship.

The blonde ex-trooper jerked away from the vague images that flooded his mind.

It had been a long time since he thought of his long gone friend. Cloud admonished himself for being so callous but deep inside it still hurt to think of his friend as one of the dead.

/It hurts to think I can't remember him as though someone placed a veil over my memories/

So caught up with his thoughts, he did not noticed his hands stilled in motion while the rag cloth fluttered silently onto the ground. A breeze lazily blew at the blonde bangs making Cloud shiver for an unknown reason.

Carefully, the blonde ex-trooper pulled back to reality.

/I really shouldn't be so distracted/

Bending down he touched the ends of his rag cloth just in time to notice another pale hand doing the same thing. Slender fingers clutched the cloth held decidedly hidden strength. His gaze traveled up the length of the arm towards the owner's face.

Blue mako eyes widen in complete shock as he stared stunned at the frighteningly familiar pair of eyes in front of him.

/Ghosts from the past back to haunt me/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/I know those eyes/

Pause.

/Those blue depths remind me of something/

A small smile. A familiar face that remained in the shadows, refusing to show itself.

/Perhaps a promise that is left unkept? /

/Or perhaps an action left undone? /

Flash of glowing green. It falls like a cascade covering everything with its color. Touch as cold and bitter as ice, yet warm and tender like a lover's touch.

/I am not sure, does he remember me? /

/Has it been long since we last met? /

/Questions which perhaps he can answer/

/Perhaps…/

/Perhaps…/

/But I know those eyes/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tifa tossed restlessly on her bed.

When that did not work, she lay on her back silently trying to will sleep her way. The bed was comfortable complete with heavy blankets and a feather pillow. Unfortunately the longhaired woman could not seem to enjoy the comfort this particular night. A wince passed her face as Barret continued snoring in bed opposite her. With another sigh, she sat up for the hundredth time to stare at the still empty bed across the room.

/Cloud where on earth are you? /

She frowned.

It shouldn't take that long for Cloud to come up to the inn. Her mind pointed out even if the blonde ex-trooper went for a short meal, he would have been back long ago.

Her frown deepen.

/He must be brooding somewhere outside/

Throwing the sheets off her body, Tifa jumped out of her bed yet careful not to wake Barret. She managed to stifle a cry when her feet touched the cold floor. Swiftly, she shrugged into her normal clothes and pulled on her boots.

A sudden creak from the window startled her. Crossing the room swiftly, Tifa firmly closed the window ensuring the wind would not slam the glass panels again. She drew the lace curtains over the glass and watched as the moonlight peeked through the lace. The silver light spilled onto the floor as though a dozen of stars fell from the sky and into their room.

Tifa smiled in appreciation at the small sight.

/Now, to get Cloud and drag him into bed before he makes himself ill/

Making sure Barret was absolutely asleep, the longhaired girl quietly treaded on the wooden floor towards the exit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"T-t-this is not possible."

Cloud slowly shook his head causing the gold bangs to catch the dim flicker of the bonfire. The sky blue eyes closed once before peering up at the green ones. They widen as though their owner expected those haunting pair of sea green eyes to vanish like the wisps of delicate traces of a lost dream.

Unfortunately the silver haired man who was wearing the dark gray shirt and deep brown pants was still there.

Immediately, the blonde ex-trooper snatched his hand away as if he was burnt.

Leaping up onto his feet, Cloud felt his heart racing. The Buster Sword sprang out of its sheath into its owner's hands. Cloud's mouth opened to say something but no words spilled past his lips. The moment stretched. Two pairs of mako eyes stared at each other, one deep green calm like the ocean seas, the other sky blue filled with immense bewilderment.

"This is not possible" Cloud repeated again, slightly firmer than before. "You…you can't be real"

But he knew there was no truth in his words.

The blonde ex-trooper could still feel the warmth from where the other man's fingers graced his hand.

/Ghosts are not warm/

A vague sense of dizziness descended heavily on his head. Chaos swirled in dark pools gathering strength with every second. Try as he might, the blonde ex-trooper could not control the reality standing right in front of him. Since he could not control it, it was his second nature to deny the fact. The utter unwillingness to comprehend the terrifying truth was a very appealing option.

Or die attempting it if he could but unfortunately the gods were against him. Reality demanded severe attention at once.

"You can't be real" Cloud tried again hoping the image was an illusion concocted by hours of neglected sleep.

"I am here, am I not?"

His instincts agreed with the simple sentence calmly uttered by the other man. It was no hallucination. The touch of those fingers proved otherwise, if not, the silent presence that emanated undeniable strength.

In Cloud's mind a storm raged. He stubbornly pushed at the fact, wishing desperately for it to be a dream but knowing that it was useless to ignore it at the same time. Turning away from the complex webs weaving around his thoughts, the blonde ex-trooper cemented his attentions on the danger staring at him in the face.

"Why are you here then?" Cloud questioned, one hand griping the familiar handle of his Buster Sword. He stiffened expecting a sudden attack from the man in front of him "Are you here to seek revenge?"

"Revenge?" The silver head tilted ever so slightly.

"Don't act so innocent!"

Before Cloud could demand for an answer, a little girl came running towards them. She skidded to a halt when she arrived between both men. Her brown eyes flashed as she glared at him. Her little arms folded in a childish mock of protectiveness. She looked roughly around seven years old. A ragdoll tucked securely in her right hand. Cloud recognized her as one of the children playing around the fire earlier.

The blonde trooper was just about to push her out of harm's way when her clear voice rang out in the night air.

"Don't hurt onii-chan!"

/Onii-chan? Brother? What?/

Cloud blinked then blinked again feeling rather confused. His huge sword slid back into its sheath in fear of harming the girl.

Perhaps seeing the sudden change of animosity to puzzlement, the girl smiled winningly. "I know, you are onii-chan's friend!" the child beamed with the precious innocence only children possessed.

/Friend? Me? With -him-? /

"Onii-chan has been lonely, he just got better from being sick. Nobody has time to be onii-chan's friend" she explained earnestly. "But you are onii-chan's friend ne?"

Both adults froze, their thoughts dangerously close to the blankness confusion brings. The child paused noticing her two other companions had not moved an inch nor utter a word. Being as naïve as a child of seven could only be, she smiled shyly at Cloud.

"You can play with onii-chan! Keep him from getting sick again!"

/Play? Sick? /

"Onii-chan won't be lonely!" she laughed happily at her idea. Grabbing the blonde ex-trooper's hand, the child prompting placed it on the other man's. "Now onii-chan can play too!"

"Yes, and you should be in bed" the silver haired man quietly answered.

"Stuck around cause onii-chan looked lonely but will go to bed now." the child laughed cheerfully and ran off towards one of the little houses. Her ragdoll cradled gently against her small chest. "Night, onii-chan!"

/What just happened? /

Feeling baffled, Cloud stared at the pale elegant hand that was holding his own.

"You have a younger sister?" uncertainty colored his sentence.

/Yes, I am going mad. That's the only logical explanation for this/

"No, she is an orphan." the silver haired man replied. The green eyes followed his gaze followed Cloud's stare until they reached their connected hands. Carefully, he dropped his hold allowing the blonde to break the contact.

"I see" Cloud took another step away. His hand strayed nervously towards his sword. "So why are you here? What do you want?"

He still refused to call the other's name in stubborn hopes the whole encounter was a dream. Afraid if he said it aloud, it would turn immediately real. A little annoying voice mentally wondered why the other man had not spoken Cloud's name. He pondered quietly waiting for an answer.

"I want nothing" the other man replied patiently.

"Surely there is a reason for your return!" Cloud snapped uncomfortably. It was possible the strange incident that was happening around the world was somehow linked with the sudden appearance of the man in front of him. The recent explosion of Life Stream in North Crater made him even more suspicious.

If he lifted his blue eyes towards the sky, he could make out the faint greenish mako glow in the far north.

"I haven't the faintest idea what you are speaking of. I have just recovered from some damning illness" The silver haired man's tone held a tint of weariness. "All I do know is that you seem familiar."

/Illness? Didn't the doctor said…? /

Cloud dropped his guard for an instant, his eyes wide.

/Does one normally forget a person who had tirelessly tracked and killed oneself? /

"You don't mean…."

"Yes, I don't remember the slightest thing" the man replied rather irritatedly. "The doctor said some kind folks brought me over here to be cured. He said I was suffering from some sort of poison. So he cured me. I was here watching the sky when you appear and start accusing me of things I can't even remember"

The ex-trooper took a heartbeat to press the words forcefully into his brain and another to extract the meaning out of the simple sentences. He opened his mouth to prompt a more elaborate explanation when a voice pierced through their delicate silence.

"SEPHIROTH!"

Cloud was unable to stop the wince as an agitated scream broke out. Both men turned to see Tifa running towards them. The blonde ex-trooper managed to pick of the beginnings of a spell being cast.

"Tifa! Stop!" he called out in warning.

It was too late.

The man beside him stiffened slightly.

A bright red light bloomed into existence in Tifa's hands. Within a second the flame hurtled at them. Cloud could see her aim was slightly out. His hand moved up automatically countering the offensive attack with a shield. The flame slammed into the protective barrier that covered both him and his companion. The red light flickered before disappearing with a low hiss.

/Why didn't he cast a shield on himself? Why didn't he try protecting himself or even attack Tifa? Why did -I- protect -him-? /

"Tifa, not here. The village and the people, someone might get hurt." Cloud shook his head.

"Get out of the way, Cloud! He is dangerous!!" the brown haired woman demanded. Tifa made a sound of frustration when the blonde ex-trooper refused to budge.

"He did not do anything to me" Cloud informed her.

"Maybe not now" Tifa lowered her clenched fists but her body remained stiff. Her brown eyes glared at the silver haired man. "Why has he returned? What are we suppose to do now?"

"I don't know" Cloud confessed, peering at the silver haired man at the corner of his eye. His thoughts lingered over what was the next decision he would have to make. It was obvious he couldn't let Sephiroth hang around Mideel or any other part of the world.

"I don't know, Tifa" the blonde ex-trooper repeated. "But what I know is we can’t leave Sephiroth here"

/We don't know if he is telling the truth…..and a few people might recognize him…/

Cloud did not want to think about what would happen if the citizens started panicking. The total chaos that would consume the world would be too big a headache for him to even dream about.

"He is coming with us to Cosmo Canyon" he decided at last. Cloud decidedly ignored the look of shock written all over Tifa's face and the subtle lift of a silver eyebrow from Sephiroth. Sensing an argument about to happen, the ex-trooper raked his hands through his blonde hair before adding. "The inn has an extra room next to ours. Sephiroth can sleep there. I will explain my reasons later. Just…trust me on this"

"Okay, Cloud. But I don't know what is Barret going to react." Tifa agreed reluctantly.

"I don't think I have any say in this, do I?" Sephiroth questioned mildly.

"No, you don’t" the brown haired girl snarled back.

Cloud rubbed his temples feeling like someone had cheerfully knocked him on the head with his Buster Sword, several times.

/I need sleep but I don't think I am lucky enough to get any tonight/

"Tifa, just go back to bed. All of us will need some rest before the dawn breaks" Cloud interrupted.

"But Cloud, Sephiroth…" Tifa protested. She looked torn between anger and fear.

"Sephiroth is not going anywhere." He gently pushed her in direction of the inn. Dropping his voice to a low whisper, he continued. "The gates are locked. There are no boats or any other means of transportation out of Mideel. He doesn't have his masamune nor material on him."

"How do you know that? He is still highly dangerous!"

"I know he is dangerous. He knew you were casting the spell but did not react."

"I was hasty…but.."

"Yes, I know. Just trust me on this. I will explain it to the whole group tomorrow."

"Have it your way" the brown haired girl muttered then paused. "Are you alright, Cloud? You seem a little pale."

"I am fine. Just tired and desperately needing some sleep. Finding him was not something I was prepared for" Cloud told her firmly leaving no room for argument. "Just go get some rest."

Tifa looked as though she was about to argue but nodded and disappeared into their inn room. The ex-trooper paused watching thoughtfully as Sephiroth placed a hand on the door handle opposite the door Tifa entered.

"What is it?" the silver haired man asked. "You are about to drag me across the world and now you are eyeing me as though I am some kind of interesting rock on the ground"

"How much do you recall?" Cloud returned the question with another. He hesitated for a moment. This man in front of him, he felt different. Although there was still the undercurrent of powerful strength emanating from Sephiroth, he did not reek of destruction anymore. It felt almost comforting. The blonde ex-trooper felt startled.

/where did that come from? /

"Nothing at all. I presumed my name is Sephiroth since you are persistently calling me that."

"Yes, that's your name. "Cloud frowned. "You really don't remember? It's hard to believe.."

"Why? Am I such suspicious person"

"You might say that. I have to speak to the doctor about your conditions"

"You don't even believe me?"

"No, not the least. You told me you found me familiar?"

"Yes."

"We will talk more tomorrow. Before we head off to Cosmo Canyon, I need to speak with the doctor. After that….." Cloud's weary mind stamped down the option of imagining his friends' reactions. He was too tired. He couldn't even muster the old hatred to yell at the other man, not that it would be fair considering Sephiroth's condition. "And don't even think of getting away."

"No, I have too much I need to ask"

Cloud waited until he entered the room they managed to acquire for him. Sephiroth's tone was sincere. The ex-trooper could have sworn for once the silver haired man might have been telling the truth but he did not want to presume too much. There were too many possibilities, too much risks involved. It was best to bring Sephiroth to the group and see what they had to say.

He managed a strain smile when his ears caught Barret's blissfully loud snores.

/Of course I will have to stop Barret and Cid from killing him first/

Cloud settled on the soft sheets allowing his tired muscles a rest. His head leaned heavily back onto the pillow as he gazed out of the open window. His internal clock informed him he had only a hand full of hours before the sun came up to greet the new day. Cloud closed his eyes, shifting into a more comfortable position.

A weird sensation tickled him.

/Wait, haven't I eaten dinner? I thought I have…/

Wondering still, the blonde ex-trooper slipped off to sleep.

"I am sorry, sir! I didn't mean to bump into you!"

"Forget about it. It's my own fault, I didn't see where I was going" brown eyes stared at him.

"Sir?"

"You are a new recruit, aren't you?

"Yes, sir! Cloud Strife, sir" nervousness edged his voice. It was expected from a newbie, especially when inquired by one of the First Class SOLDIERs.

"It's okay. You don't have to be so formal." Warm chuckle made him felt more comfortable. "I have seen you spar a few times. You are pretty good"

"Really? I mean… thank you"

"It has been two days. They should have the recruits grouped up already. Which barrack are you from?"

"B 18"

"On the trial to enter SOLDIER?'

A nod from the blonde head.

"Aren't you a little too young?"

"Maybe it's my height but I - am- 14. The same age as any recruit for SOLDIER" Flash of indignant blue eyes.

"No, I was just joking. Don't take it seriously." Another small amused laugh before a pause "You might need some help. Shinra system is so corrupted…" another pause followed by a thoughtful glance. Glowing brown eyes stared at him. "Cloud, right?"

"Yes, that's correct"

"What do you think if I gave you some training on using a sword?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I think you got a pretty good shot at getting into the SOLDIER. You just need to get your basics right. So how about it?"

"Sure! I mean yes, sir…"

"Great, we can start tomorrow right after you finished your drills."

"Yes, sir"

"Oh, before I forget there is one very important thing."

"Which is?"

"Call me Zack. Can't stand the 'sir' thing. Gets on my nerves" mischievous grin. "Makes me feel old."

"Yes, s-..Zack" echoed smile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole journey towards Cosmo Canyon was uneventful. After a few minutes of yelling in disbelief, Barret had glared at Sephiroth. Tifa had tired to calm him down while Cloud managed to secure a few gold chocobos. It only took a few hours before their reached Red's hometown.

But in Cloud's opinion, the day could not pass fast enough.

Barret and Tifa were constantly keeping an eye on Sephiroth while acting as if the silver haired man was a leper. Loud arguments burst into existence at every step of the way. Although they had said nothing of the killings Sephiroth had done, the duo conveyed obvious hatred towards the silver haired man. Barret sprouted curses as though there was no tomorrow in each sentence that passed his lips.

The blonde ex-trooper couldn't blame them for their reactions. He was sure if he wasn't so tired; he would be acting just as similar. He remembered the dream he had the night before and fully recognized it. Cloud admitted it was a nice change since it contained no guilt or anger, only the warmth of a new friendship. His mind drifted and he had to consciously keep himself from slipping off his mount.

As for Sephiroth, he wore a look of faint amusement and curiosity on his face throughout the entire journey.

Cloud's thoughts jumbled up in confusing heaps once again while his chocobo was happily running across the green fields. He had talked to the doctor earlier in the morning. Vincent was out of harm's way, much to his relief but was still asleep. He hinted that Vincent would be able to go after he woke up. The blonde ex-trooper left a note for the also sleeping Highwind captain asking him to bring Vincent over to Cosmo Canyon later on in the evening.

The doctor also confirmed Sephiroth's memory lost due to the severe mako poisoning.

The blonde ex-trooper wondered how was he supposed to break the news to the rest of his friends. He pondered aimlessly as they moved slowly towards Cosmo Canyon.

Once they reached their destination, fatigue quickly descended onto Cloud. The blonde ex-trooper was so exhausted; he could barely keep his eyes open. Almost dropping off his gold bird, he tried to will away the heaviness in his limbs. Tifa took one look at him and firmly deposited him in the inn.

"Make sure nobody harms him" Cloud muttered to Tifa knowing fully well she understood who he meant.

"Cloud…"

"I mean it. No one is to harm him. Tell the others"

"….I don't like it, Cloud,….but okay"

The door creaked as it closed.

/why did I say that just now? /

/is it righteousness that prevented me from killing him even though he still could be a threat to the world? /

/but…he doesn't remember…it wouldn't be right to harm him…./

/I…./

The blonde ex-trooper could not do anything but fall into the embrace of sleep.

/Just don't let me dream…/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hand was lightly shaking his shoulder causing him to wake up. Cloud blearily opened his sky blue eyes. His vision was foggy as though someone had placed a smoke screen in front of him. Shaking his head a little, the blonde ex-trooper blinked to clear his sight.

"Cloud, it's time to get up"

The voice was clear and soft, reminding him of a particular person's voice. If he wished hard enough, he could imagine the gold hair and blue eyes of an elderly lady.

/Mom? /

His thoughts blurred again.

 

/No….she's dead remember? /

"Cloud? Would you please get your ass out of bed?"

"Wha-…Yuffie"

"Yeah, about time you got up" the ninja girl grinned at him. Cloud couldn't help but notice the slight strain in her smile. He cast a quick glance at the open window and calculated how long he had slept.

/I slept through the whole afternoon/

"What happen while I was sleeping?"

"The rest of the group arrived. Cid and Barret has been yelling about why the hell is Sephiroth still alive while Tifa and Cait Sith are preventing them from killing him. They have been making such a racket since they arrived" Yuffie replied with a snort. "Vincent is okay. Guess he is a bit shock over Sephiroth's sudden appearance. Everyone is waiting for you to get up. Eager to kill you for not letting them kill him. That includes me as well."

"Right"

The blonde ex-trooper pushed himself off the bed. Carefully he stretched; clearing the sleep's cobwebs which lingered in his mind. He needed to be alert. Thankfully, any fragments of tiredness had disappeared after his rest. He noted in amusement he had neglected in removing his boots before he slept.

/God, why was I so tired? /

"The group is in the cavern" Yuffie informed Cloud.

He cocked his head to one side listening. Sure enough, Barret's loud voice boomed through the thick wooden door. Cloud blinked a he caught a loud curse. Slowly, he opened the door and stepped out into the cavern. The ninja girl followed closely behind him.

"Spike, about time you got up!!" Barret grumbled, his dark eyes still hovering cautiously at Sephiroth.

"Hey, sleeping beauty." Cid drawled. The Highwind captain looked better compared to the last time Cloud saw him in Mideel. Although the dark rings around his eyes had yet to fade, the unnatural paleness on his skin had already vanished.

Vincent sat silently at one corner of the large room. Any traces of illness made no appearance on his features. He looked the same as always. Cloud gave a little nod in his direction, which he returned. Crimson eyes fleeted over to Sephiroth for a second, asking an unspoken question.

The whole gang seemed uncomfortable with a particular silver haired man's presence. Cloud tilted his head slightly to one side wondering how was he suppose to explained the new incident to them. Right in front of Sephiroth.

/How about, 'I just bumped into him during dinner?' /

"I think I shall retire early" a smooth voice muttered over the noise. Everyone turned to see the silver haired man getting up from his seat.

"Where the hell do you think you are going?" Barret demanded, rising from his own seat.

"To bed"

"Like hell you are! Ya wanna escape right?!"

"No, I would prefer to sleep actually"

"You can use the bedroom upstairs" Cloud pointed at the room he just exited before the broad shoulder man could say anything else. He could practically see the animosity bouncing off each men. He groaned inwardly hoping he prevented a fight. To his relieve Barret just growled an explicit and Sephiroth exited the cavern.

An uneasy silence followed after the door clicked shut. Cloud took in a deep breath sensing the 100 question quiz was about to happen. He tried to clear his mind.

"What the hell is going on, spike?!" Barret burst out first.

Quickly, the blonde ex-trooper informed them of the details. In a few choices of words, he told them about the incident in Mideel and how he met Sephiroth. He also included the condition Sephiroth was in along with the doctor's confirmation.

"So ya saying ol silver freak here doesn't remember anything?"

"Yes, the doctor said so himself. He even showed me the health records" Cloud dropped onto an empty seat before pulling out the records. He passed them over the Red. The blonde ex-trooper wondered if he had not gotten over the shock of seeing the silver haired man yet. He still felt slightly numb.

/shock? More like a huge whack on the head/

"Shit!" Barret slumped back onto his chair. "You expect us to believe that?"

"I do" Red quietly exclaimed after quickly reading records. "It clearly states that he is suffering from amnesia."

"Hell! Amnesia or not, he ain't no good guy!!"

"But he seems different now." Red replied quietly. "The aura around him is ain't like before."

"Yeah, most likely he is gonna blow up another town within an hour" Barret snorted.

"We should lock him up somewhere" Tifa insisted. "He could kill innocent people! Like he did in Niblehiem."

"It would be better if we keep an eye on him" Vincent muttered.

Cloud tapped his fingers on the table while he watched his friends toss the subject around. Like Red, he agreed that Sephiroth might be different but he also was afraid the silver haired man could also be the destruction of the world.

"Great. Now we have some real shit in our hands" Cid flicked some ash of his cigar. "Does he know what he has done?"

"No, he remembers nothing. I only told him his name so far." Cloud murmured.

"Judging by the way we reacted, he is bound to suspect something." Red glanced at the group, his gold eyes thoughtful. "Right now, I suggest we tell him everything we know about him. Minus the gruesome parts that happens after Nibelhiem"

"Can't we just leave him as he is?" Cait Sith wondered aloud.

"Once an amnesia patient starts recovering, it cannot be stopped" the beast answered slowly. "He -did- say Cloud looked familiar. It's a sign he is recovering slowly. It could take months or even years"

"So we take him along. But if he even hints returning to his previous habits again, I will certainly shot the freak" Barret growled. "And don't ya dare get in my way, Spike"

"No, I would not" Cloud nodded in agreement.

/I might shoot him myself….but I don't…./

/I am no murderer…right that's the answer/

"In my opinion, Sephiroth is only willing to follow is because he wants to find out about his past."

"Talking about that, only Cloud knows about the silver freak's past" Yuffie pointed out.

The blonde haired ex-trooper in question hid a wince. He really wanted to avoid Sephiroth if possible but it seems that the odds were against him once more. Keeping tabs on his anger now he was feeling after the shock wore off would be rather difficult. One could not simply forget one's mother's murderer so easily. Silently, he cursed under his breath.

"I will do my best" he answered with the confidence he did not feel. Feeling that the subject needed to be changed, he turned towards Cait Sith "Now, did you find anything from those documents yet?"

"Yes, but we have just a rough sketch" Cait Sith replied. "Most of it is still uncovered. I got a several people still working on it. There is a -lot- of scientific material on mako. It seems as though someone has been conducting a very specific research. It looks very bad for us"

"Another sicko on the loose" Cid muttered as he took a drag from his cigar.

"It sounds too suspicious. Any dates or location stated?" Cloud asked.

"No location. The dates are pretty recent" the little cat on its mog looked uneasy. "It's almost as if someone is trying to make use mako once more. Most of it looks like they follow the SOLDIER mako intake process but the amount of mako being used is insane"

"Keep working on it" Cloud replied

"I am contemplating about reopening some of the reactors" Cait Sith stated seriously. "It might help balance the Life Stream"

"No" Red answered immediately. "Not now, things are still uncertain. You might disrupt the balance that is left"

"There is another matter" the little cat spoke up again. "The WEAPONs are have been seen lingering along the east shores of North Crater."

"All of them?"

"Yes."

"Bloody hell" Barret cursed. "What in the blazes does the planet want? Dammit!"

"I don't know but we have to find out. Tomorrow we will pay a visit to North Crater. " Cloud gazed thoughtfully at his friends. With the WEAPONs running around, Life Stream explosion plus the sudden appearance of Sephiroth, he almost felt like he was too old to be saving the planet for the second time.

"Just keep your eyes open, guys. I don't like this at -all-"


The end of Part 4 of Chapter 2

NOTE TO ALL READERS

Please be noted that the story takes place 6 months after the game. There is also a YAOI content. So to all readers who do not approve to such pairing or dislike the idea, do should not continue reading. The authors will not entertain any flames or complains concerning the yaoi pairing/pairings involved in the fanfic.

Thankyou