Repeated Past

By: Mouse-chan

: K-chan


Standard Disclaimer: The characters used this fanfic are owned and copyright by Squaresoft. The characters are used without permission. This series is only made for entertainment use and does not make any profits of any kind. Any original characters are copyrighted to the authors. Changes in this fanfic can occur without any warning. Please bear in mind that the story contains yaoi, violence and adult language for that matter.

Comments can be sent to Mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com or K-chan at karina_lye@yahoo.com .Any flames about the yaoi coupling in this fanfic will not be entertained.

[Warning, spoilers for the game]

"-" conversations

italics flashbacks

‘-‘ thoughts


[CHAPTER 3: A WALK IN THE DARK]

[PART 3: THE FORSAKEN]

He was baffled.

Utterly baffled.

A sound of what could only be labeled as a stomach growling in hunger was followed closely by a high-pitched squeak reached his ears.

Cloud folded his arms, staring at the brightly painted machine that currently hosted a small, furry mog along with its little house and the colorful vegetation in the background. From his position, the blonde ex-trooper could make out his rather dumbstruck looking twin reflected on the lit screen. He vaguely knew that there was an arcade center somewhere in Golden Saucer but had never ventured into the particular area since he was mostly interested in chocobo racing.

Now he was here…

The golden eyebrows rose up higher towards his hairline as the tiny mog gave a satisfied squeak before heading towards another house, which curiously resembled like an overgrown mushroom.

A mushroom constructed with pink doors and heart-shaped windows nonetheless.

His eyebrows raised a tad when a pink mog wobbled out of the peculiar mushroom house to join the white mog who was patiently waiting outside. The whole scene looked like something wholly out of a fairytale book.

Growing up in a quiet town like Nibelheim never gave Cloud the chance to appreciate videogames. From his blurry childhood memories, he remembered watching the other children kick a worn-looking ball into an overturned dustbin and the way they hollered in delight before chalking the score on an old piece of blackboard. It was either that or playing the ever-so-popular game of hide-and-seek. As for himself, the boy normally wandered in the outskirts of the town, weaving fantasies of his future to pass his time. Nobody in the village had anything more complex than a beaten old radio that usually bleated out the world news.

Cloud gave a slight smile.

Zack, of course, did try to teach him the delights of digital games despite his protests about not being interested. Unfortunately for the dark haired man, time was limited since they had to train and carry out missions for Shinra. At best, his friend could only squeeze in a mere handful of minutes expertly tapping the buttons on the controller while Cloud, who could never seem to master the art of digital battle games, sympathized with the character on the screen who was getting severely beaten.  

Tiny upbeated digital music caught the blonde’s attention.

The white mog preened on the screen, obviously trying to win the pink mog’s affections or perhaps interest. Cloud couldn’t really tell the difference. He remembered reading about the creatures somewhere while he was still a trooper but couldn’t really remember the details. Golden eyebrows drew closer together. The little, furry creature made another high pitched squeak and began flapping its wings vigorously.

‘Mating behavior?’ the blonde ex-trooper wondered idly then caught himself, ‘Why, in the name of the gods, am I pondering about a game?’

Mako blue eyes sought out the silver haired man who was fiddling around with the controls. If anything, Sephiroth looked as though he was quite amused with the interactive animation. Had anyone told Cloud, years back when he was still a SOLDIER recruit, that the great Sephiroth actually played arcade games; Cloud would have most likely whacked them on the head with a standard army issued war-hammer.

He glanced at the taller man whose head was slightly tilted to one side while green eyes watched the screen.

Cloud paused.

‘I really cannot believe I am seeing this,’ his mind muttered.

And he paused again.

The mog gave another squeak. Cloud absently noted the half smile hovering around the silver haired man’s lips.

If the blonde ex-trooper remembered correctly, Sephiroth had refused countless of times to join them playing arcade games. Sephiroth had just lifted one eyebrow and went back to whatever he was working on while Cloud blinked and Zack shrugged. Sephiroth’s partner must have somehow managed to pass on his love for digital games to Sephiroth’s subconscious mind hence the fact that the amnesiac was acting as such.

There was simply no way the silver haired man would have acted as such on normal circumstances.

Cloud stared at the Sephiroth again.

‘Amnesiac,’ he reminded himself.

The machine beeped cheerfully.

Even with the explanation at hand…

The mog gave another high pitch squeak.

‘I really can’t believe this,’ Cloud’s mind wailed.

The picture of a the General, the first class SOLDIER, the person who was known for legendary his cool demeanor and lethal fighting skills, the man that Cloud had hero-worshipped simply would not and could not merge with the picture of the same man playing an arcade game. Somewhere at the back of his mind, the blonde ex-trooper’s consciousness pointed out that Sephiroth was still human therefore entitled to playing all the arcade games if he ever wanted to.

But it was still hard to merge the almost god-like image he had for the silver haired man along with the evil villain who wished for world domination to this mild tempered being in front of him.

‘The same person who is right now playing a game that consists of…mog mating?’

It would have been hilarious if it were not so bewildering.

Glowing blue eyes closed as Cloud resisted the urge to just shake his head in disbelieve. Carefully, he reviewed his past and decided this ought to be the most bewildering scene he had ever encountered. Somewhere in the blonde’s thoughts, he wondered if it was too late for him to seek medical treatment from a physiatrist.  

“Well, that was rather…interesting.”

Sephiroth’s quiet voice lined with a hint of amusement effectively broke through his musing.

The blonde ex-trooper hurriedly gathered his thoughts before blinking up at the taller man. Cloud shot a quick glance at the lit glass just in time to see the white mog and pink mog happily squeaking away as they crossed the screen followed by a line of baby mogs. For an instant, the blonde wondered how could any creature produce so many infants in such a short span of time then decided it was better not to think about it.

His head was beginning to hurt.

‘By my luck, I am totally beyond any help,’ he thought miserably.

“So.” Cloud nodded once and unfolded his arms, forcing out a slight smile. His gaze left the ‘THE END’ on the screen and came to rest on the silver haired man’s face. A list of things they could do while waiting for the repairs on Highwind to be finished ran through Cloud’s mind.

For a second, the idea of going to the battle arena seemed rather appealing just a split second before reality whacked him soundly on the head and pointed out it was best to keep Sephiroth away from violent scenes lest it might provoke memories that would cause really bad things to happen.

And if those really bad things were to happen, Cloud would most definitely prefer it to not occur in Gold Saucer, a place populated with several thousands of visitors.

Besides, chances 9 in 10 Dio, the owner of Golden Saucer, would also go raving mad at the destruction of his pride and joy.

Having two mad people ardently after his head was something Cloud would dearly like to avoid at any cost.

Yes, Cloud would dearly love to keep his head intact with the rest of his body even though his state of mind was more scrambled compared to a self-concocted meal of scrambled eggs.

Non-violent things to do…

His mind reached into the past and came up with…

“So,” Cloud helplessly heard himself say, “How about some ice-cream?”

The person who was once the most feared man on the planet, to the blonde’s amazement, smiled. “Why not.”

Utterly and totally baffled…

Yes, that summed it up perfectly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This is freakin’ly freaky.”

Red 13 curiously looked up from the thick book he was reading to see Barret pacing near the entrance of the study room. From his dark skinned friend’s tensed posture, Red 13 had no trouble guessing that Barret was quite agitated. The broad shouldered man’s eyebrows were tightly drawn close together. The man had been pacing up and down the small corridor for some time and had not announced his presence until now. Red 13 had tolerated the sound of the rather loud pacing footsteps as he did a little research, waiting for his team-member to state what was disturbing Barret so.

The fire-tipped tail swept through the air, barely gracing the surface of the red tiles then settled back onto the floor. Golden eyes blinked once before the furry beast politely tilted his head slightly in inquiry. “Freaky?”

“Ya know…freaky.” Barret gestured with one hand, “Weird, odd…”

“Yes, I am quite familiar with the word,” Red 13 answered patiently, “Instead of the meaning, what do you find so…odd? Or rather…freaky about?”

“…”

Red 13 waited; it was his nature to be patient.

“…” Barret paused again before groaning, “Aw’ hell, its that damn silver haired freak.”

“Sephiroth?” his furry companion looked almost thoughtful.

“Yea, I mean first he dacnes around da’ damn place wantin’ to be god an’ all plus that freakin’ thin’ about destoryin’ the planet. Next we chased him from Shinra to high hell to that stupid crater place, kill him, bury him under an ungodly amount of rock an’ spent our 6 well earned months of darn peace doin’ whatever we pleased for a change. Now the silver haired freak is freakin’ly back. He ain’t ranting about bein’ God or burnin’ towns no more. We spend bout’ 3 days with him an’ da’ man is…”

Red nodded encouragingly but continued to remain silent for the time being.

Barret stopped from his ranting as he took a long breath before rounding the whole thing up, “Hell, from what I see that damn silver haired freak is as harmless as tha’ goldfish christened ‘Bobo’ Marlene keeps in her room. Its really damn…well…freaky.”

“I doubt Sephiroth is anything similar to Marlene’s pet,” Red 13’s voice was tinged with amusement.

The broad shouldered man gave a short shrug. His posture, Red 13 noted, was less tensed after saying what he had been restraining from mentioning since the silver haired man had joined their reluctant team.

“Supposed so,” Barret muttered pushing back his shoulders a little, “But its just…jeeze, ain’t there like…rules or somethin’ on the limit a man can change?!”

“Sephiroth is suffering from amnesia,” Red 13 gently reminded him.

“Yea, yea. Still, the man was a killing machine and now daisies can be considered more dangerous compared to him…damn pollen and all.”

It took a lot of Red 13’s will not to laugh at his friend’s comment. As funny as it was, he didn’t think Barret would take kindly of him if he did smile. Besides, Barret was in the midst of pouring out his thoughts and it wouldn’t do if the man thought that Red 13 was finding the conversation hilarious at the slightest.

Carefully, Red 13 kept a straight face; fighting the urge to grin at the thought of goldfishes and daisies chosen to compare with the man named Sephiroth.

“Just yesterday I saw that silver haired freak talkin’ to Cloud. Talkin’,” Barret said while shaking his head in amazement.

“Perhaps Cloud is adapting to the situation at hand?”

“Ain’t no shoutin’, attempts to kill each other…not even a death glare. Just talkin’…like they are been real lon’ friends.”

 “They might have, Barret,” Red 13 smiled, “Cloud had been in Shinra as a trooper for most of his teenage life. I suppose he had met Sephiroth somewhere between those years became acquainted or hero-worshipped him from afar until the Nibelhiem incident or both.”

“Ya make it sound like some romance novel or somethin’. Besides, I can’t imagine spikey head worshippin’ anybody,” Barret truthfully replied, “Especially that wantin’-to-be-a-god guy.”

“Barret,” Red 13 stopped, “We don’t exactly know if it was Sephiroth who wanted to be a God in the first place.”

“Huh?”

“Sephiroth could be said as a host to Jenova. He was injected with Jenova cells since he was still in his mother’s womb. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jenova who was manipulating his mind to merge with the Life Stream and become a higher being.” Red shook his mane. “A sane man whom Sephiroth was while being the General under Shinra would not have done such an crazy thing. Why be a God when you have killed all your followers?”

“Maybe he woke up one morning an’ thought ‘Oh, why don’t I be a God today’. Or he is a sadistic bastard’,” Barret shot back, “Besides, if Jenova was his darn parasite, why would that shit wait for Sephiroth to grow up then only get him to ‘go be God’? Why not go ‘be a God’ right away? Why wait?”

“Maybe Jenova thought he wasn’t strong enough as a child? Or perhaps he needed to be near Jenova for her to create a bond between them hence influence him? Or the jenova cells in him were dormant for a period of time before the near presence of Jenova triggered them off? Or Jenova only needed a small gap in his defense to lay in him her will as what happened in Nibelhiem when Sephiroth lost control and went berserk,” Red laid his head on his paws. This was something that he had internally debated about endlessly, “The possibilities go on and on.”

“We have came near that damn Jenova plenty of times and I ain’t seein’ you wanting to be no God.” Barret eyed him warily. A little doubt crept into the man’s voice. “Do ya, Red?”

“I don’t have any Jenova cells in me. Neither does Vincent…the only person who does have Jenova cells in him would be Cloud.”

“Spikey definitely ain’t wanna either. Given a choice, I bet he’d be a hermit. Damn cottage, chocobos and all. All he lacks is da robe.”

Red’s lips twitched slightly at the thought of Cloud in hermit robes. Grasping back the thread of the conversation, he sternly directed his mind to the original subject.

“As I was saying, the higher complexity cells or in other words cell with a higher intelligence in Sephiroth giving him the ability to control the clones. The same cells would also signify that he was the main host, the first therefore Jenova’s chosen. Given time, I am willing to say that those Jenova cells in him were able to mutate and since Sephiroth was injected with these alien cells when he was just a baby…”

“Plenty of time for em’ darn critters.”

Red 13 nodded again.

“And Cloud is different cause…?” Barret pressed.

“If I recall correctly, Hojo said that Cloud was a failed clone. That would mean Cloud was slightly muted to Jenova’s presence. Not totally immune, just flawed. In other word; harder to control. And besides knowing Hojo,” the furry beast growled at the name, “the rest of the clones would have been given cells that were less complex.”

“Why?” a hint of confusion.

“Can you imagine a herd of man each with enough power to destroy the world all fighting among themselves to be God?”

“Shit. That would be hell. That silver haired freak alone was bad enough.”

“No, Hojo knew exactly what he was doing when he did what he did,” Red 13 briefly closed his eyes against the memory. He let out a long sigh. The page of the book in front of him caught the moving air and rustled slightly, pushing their dark thoughts away for a moment.

“So…what were you reading before I dragged you into our conversation?” Barret asked almost guiltily.

“A few facts about amnesia that had I weren’t quite certain of.”

“That silver haired man is gonna recover, ain’t he?”

“The chances are pretty high. It would be like Cloud all over again, but perhaps a little faster. Although I do wonder if he would recover fully since Cloud is still recalling bits and pieces of his own past.”

“Is he gonna…” Barret hand sought out the wooden surface of his study table. “…wanna be all Godly again?”

“That I cannot say. If he recovers his memories, Sephiroth might become what he was; Shinra’s General. Or maybe the residue of Jenova’s will in him is enough to push him into another attempt to become a God. But with Jenova dead, who knows?”

“An’ you are just gonna sit back an’ let this happen?!” the dark skinned man asked incredulously.

 “It is, like I have said, unavoidable. Sephiroth will, even if it takes years, by and by remember everything. Its better if he recovers when we are with him rather than in the presence of unprepared people.”

“Sometimes you make too much sense, Red,” Barret grumbled then stopped dead, “Where the hell is Sephiroth anyway?”

“In Gold Saucer. With Cloud.”

“Ya kiddin’ me.”

“I kid you not. Sephiroth is with Cloud.” Red 13 looked slightly indignant.

“One of em’ is coming back dead, I tell ya. Or in tiny winny pieces. Sure they can stan’ each other for 5 minutes but a full hour? Spikey might just make sushi out of da’ man,” Barret spun on his heel, fully intending to go to Gold Saucer and drag out Cloud along with the silver haired man. Automatically, he checked the gun attached to his arm to make sure it was loaded. The metal gave a sharp snap as the safety lock was released.

“Barret, don’t.” The beast stood up, golden eyes sharp.

“What the hell?!” Heavy boots obediently came to a halt despite their owner’s obvious reaction.

“This is good for Cloud.”

“I think I really need a hearing aid….say that again?!”

“Its good for Cloud,” Red 13 hesitated before scratching his left ear, “I am not sure how to put this but being with Sephiroth might just help Cloud recover those pieces of memories which he has forgotten.”

Barret paused and shook his head, “I ain’t buyin’ that, Red. Ain’t buyin’ that at all.”

“Cloud has remembered much more of his time as a trooper compared to the tiny scraps he managed to regain last time. From the way he talks, I suspect that he remembers more than what he says he does which is a good thing. This maybe the key to unlock all that he has forgotten. Maybe the only key.”

“Shit, an’ Sephiroth is the key?”

“That might be one way of putting it.” Red 13 managed to say as delicately as possible.

“Talkin’ about meetin’ up with your demons through your livin’ nightmare!” Barret grumbled, “Sometimes I wish that Cloud could go like go an’ sleep or somethin’ an’ wake up rememberin’ everythin’. Save him the trouble of wakin’ up screamin’ from nightmares. A lot easier too.”

“Sometimes its just not that simple,” the golden eyes frowned, “Cloud does seemed to be a little bit preoccupied lately, hasn’t he?”

“Stress, Sephiroth, WEAPONS mixed with that slimy Hojo…” Barret shrugged, “Its no wonder the guy went totally dead in Cosmo Canyon. But I think he is okay now, spikey head ate quite a bit before we left. Jeeze, finished the damn salmon fish all by himself. Never knew spikey had such a big appetite.”

“I see…”

“Well, ain’t wanna bother ya no more since ya readin’. But I am tellin’ ya, I ain’t takin’ no responsibility if ol’ spikey serves us Sephiroth sushi for dinner.”

Red 13 watched as Barret exited the room.

The door silently clicked shut causing the room to fall into a peaceful silence once more. He glanced at the page and the lines of words printed on the white paper then frowned. There was a slight uneasiness building up in him. It was the same feeling he encountered when he was fought the one winged angel in the final battle.

For the life of him, Red couldn’t seem to piece together the puzzle that lie before him. They had almost everything except the motive.

The attack on Nibelhiem, reappearance of the WEAPONs, Cid’s sudden bout of mako poisoning, Sephiroth, the papers in the lab and Hojo’s visit to Shinra to claim what little information the group had managed to gather.

Mako, monsters, WEAPONs, human organs and Hojo.

A thin thread that linked them together was missing.

He growled under his breath, more out of annoyance rather than anything else.

“What is going on here? Hojo, what are you plotting this time?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a secluded room somewhere inside Highwind, a pale man became a temporary resident of a comfortable armchair. The narrow table in front of the chair was littered with dissembled guns in all stages. Long raven black hair fell into the deep red eyes. A gloved hand moved impatiently upwards to flick the dark strands away while its clawed brother continued its task headless of the noisy repairs that were being made onto the ship. The clashes and hammerings of metal except far off yells from a certain blonde Highwind captain were all muted by the man’s fierce concentration of caring for his well loved guns.

Vincent’s weapons had been with him even before he was a Turk.

Although his life as a Turk was rather foggy due to the fact that he had been in that accursed coffin for so many years but his love for his guns had never faded through time’s passing.

He stared at a small, thin scratch on the smooth black metal surface, wondering idly how did it get there in the first place. Rarely did his equipment receive any damages especially his beloved guns. Summarizing that it could have been caused by an unnoticed blunder on his part, the silent man set about polishing the tiny mar away.

 As he was just about to place the worn cloth against the cool metal, Vincent’s eyes widened a fraction before his head jerked up.

‘What…?’

An empty room met his surprised gaze.

“Is this a ghost of my foolish imagination?” he wondered quietly to himself.

The gun found itself back onto the table while the red eyes stared at the steel unseeingly for a moment. The presence once again bloomed a split second before vanishing. Vincent stood up almost in shock. The beast in him snarled, disapproving what had just fleetingly touched his mind. His claw fingers, without their owner noticing, curled into a tight ball tearing the already worn cloth.

 “No, my imagination plays no part in this.”

Vincent turned to the nearby window and frowned.

Deep crimson eyes stared unseeingly into the horizon as though they were trying to coax the skies into letting him view what they were shielding.

“What is it that I feel yet cannot see? What is this warning cry in my heart?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice-cream stall…

A pair of teenagers kissing…

Hotdog stall…

A couple holding hands…

Vending machine…

Boy buying a girl a soda…

Arcade game…

Boyfriend playing while his girlfriend watches…

Another arcade game…

‘Is it my imagination or is this place packed with scores of young lovers?’ Cloud wondered idly as he trailed a few steps behind Sephiroth. From the amount of people walking hand in hand he had seen, the blonde ex-trooper could roughly estimated that there were thousands of couples that came here to see the sights. For an instant, the blonde contemplated the possibility of the amount of visitors rising during Valentines Day. Judging by the herds of humans flocking around with no an inch of floor to be seen, Cloud would say by not much.

But then again, crazy things bound to happen from time to time.

The blonde ex-trooper’s senses prickled uncomfortably, swiftly informing its owner someone was watching them. While his hands were already seeking out the familiar grip of his Buster Sword, Cloud glanced around before catching the source of his discomfort. A teenage girl with dark hair stared in a rather strange manner at the duo then started giggling madly, a light blush coloring her cheeks.

The blonde ex-trooper stifled a sigh.

The day was certainly taking a strange turn.

After the ice cream, his silver haired companion had been more than contented to walk aimlessly around Gold Saucer. Not that Cloud minded getting away from the arcade games but…

Blue eyes turned a little more confused as another passing couple shot them an odd look.

‘Why is everyone giving me that particularly strange look today? Or are those looks pointed at Sephiroth? Haven’t they seen anyone with silver hair before? Or perhaps it’s his height? Don’t think these people recognized him anyway otherwise they would be running while screaming their lungs out by now…’ Cloud thought in bewilderment, slightly distracted by another curious look shot towards him.

He peeked at his silver haired companion who seemed completely immune to the looks that they were getting before frowning.

‘Wait…they are…staring at both of us?’

Somewhere he could hear screams bordered with laughter coming as a roller coaster finished its final loop around its circuit mingling with the sound of Sephiroth’s quiet voice. His mind paid them no attention as he searched for an accurate response to his own question.

‘They are looking at us…but why would they be looking at us…’

He glanced at a few couples, seeking the answer to his question. He came up with nothing. There were only pairs of people walking around an amusement part, so what could be so wrong about two men wandering around as well?

Blue eyes blinked once, twice then widened.

Couples…

Two men…

Couples…

Something that felt very much like a mental brick tied with the answer to his question dropped squarely on the blonde’s head. His leisure pace became slower and slower until it reached a complete stop.

‘They think we are…are…?!’

“Cloud?”

“Eh?” the blonde head jerked up at the sound of his voice being called. His gaze met a pair of rather concerned green eyes. Immediately, Cloud noticed that he had stopped long enough for Sephiroth to walk quite a distance away. He shook his head a little, kicking his suspicions to a corner.

‘Besides, even if they were…its not like Sephiroth and I were…anything like Cid and Vincent…’

That particular thread of thought proved to be a bad idea.

The far-too-recent image of the said duo along with a fairly rumpled bed and some very interesting noises popped was more than obliged to appear. Cloud tried his utmost best to not turn completely red in the face.

‘No! No!…don’t think of that…think of fat hippos doing hulas…what the oven looked like after it exploded…a chocobo in a drag!…think…’

“Cloud?”

“EH?!” Wide sky blue eyes snapped opened. The blonde ex-trooper’s voice was bordering on the edge of full-blown panic despite its owner’s attempts to coax some calm into it. Somewhere at the back of his mind, Cloud rather proud he did not turn and start running in the opposite direction…and not stopping until he fell off the ends of the earth.

‘…think…’

“Cloud, are you ill?” Sephiroth mildly frowned, his face filling the blonde’s line of vision.

‘…think Sephiroth?…’

Unwittingly the ‘fever’ inducing mental image wavered a little before coming back full force. This time the two occupants on the bed possessed an uncanny resemblance to Sephiroth and his own self wearing far too little clothes.

With the special sound effects in the background.

Subconsciously, Cloud damned Zack for all the sexual innuendos the dark haired man had ever made, the rather graphic movie Zack had given to him for his 15th birthday along with his own rather wild imagination.

“Uh….”

The temperature of the blonde ex-trooper’s face hopped several degrees higher as the blonde, to his horror, noted that other body parts were starting to pay attention to his thoughts.

The thought of running to the ends of the earth was beginning to sound really appealing.

“Cloud?”

Sephiroth was so near that Cloud could feel the silky silver strands tickling the tips of his nose.

Cloud knew he should be doing something. Walking, talking, breathing…anything other than just standing there and gaping like a fish out of the water. His brain digested the command and ordered the gears to start working again. Unfortunately, the gears produced a high-pitched squeak that sounded frighteningly like the sound the mog from the arcade game made before all coherent thoughts wobbled unsteadily in a perfect imitation of the jelly he used to enjoy as a teenager.

 “Are you alright? You are all flushed,” Sephiroth asked, placing a cool hand on the other’s forehead.

The shock of a cool object making contact with his overheated skin was enough to drag back Cloud’s ability to think once more.

Blue eyes blinked several times in relief as the ‘very disturbing’ mental image faded away. Not losing any time, Cloud’s acute senses informed him of the gentle pressure on his forehead. The sunbeam colored eyebrows rose slightly in surprise.

Not at eased with any physical contact at the moment, Cloud took several steps backwards before his wretched mind could concoct any other images that would drive him into speechless stupor again.  

‘Was that a look of…hurt on Sephiroth’s face?’

“I…am fine,” the blonde ex-trooper muttered while fidgeting with the straps of his leather gloves.

Sephiroth just lifted one eyebrow in disbelief.

“Really, I am fine,” Cloud’s voice was a bit more decisive. The heat on his face had lowered slightly. He was quite sure his cheeks were still bright red. “I was just…thinking of something…something important.”

‘Thinking…yeah right.’ His brain sarcastically remarked.

Ardently, the smaller man wished that the little voice in his head came with a ‘on’ and ‘off’ button.

“Nothing to worry about. I am okay,” Cloud shrugged, “You mentioned something before I got…distracted?”

Sephiroth looked as though he was about to argue but then decided against it. He looked at the scores of people crowding around the place, while ignoring the odd stares directed at both of them, and spared the blonde at his side another glance. “As I was saying, is there a more effective way of seeing all of Gold Saucer? This whole place is much too big to see by foot.”

“I suppose we could use the gondola,” Cloud said thoughtfully. “We can see almost everything up in the air.”

“Perfect. Lead the way.”

“Sure.” He turned around, fully intending to take his pale companion to their new destination.

‘Nothing violent about the Gondola. Plus no one can give us odd stares over there with the enclosed area and all. Not unless they want to climb up 100 meters of steel which I severely doubt even the craziest would even try.’ The blonde ex-trooper happily thought. ‘And I can see the chocobo track from up there. Perfect’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lines and lines of small words marched across the white background in a merciless parade. They continued from one piece of document to another, frighteningly similar to the Shinra workload that he had to deal with.  Numbers jumbled up with words creating a language that only the most knowledgeable or the maddest would hope to understand. To make things even worse, the hand that had written those papers was not consistent. Countless of times the script was different and the format of the documents changed so frequently as if the writer was distracted. The most important notes were often found on the ear-dogged edges of the paper, faded and entirely difficult to read.

Reeve rubbed his temples as he closed his eyes for a moment.

He had been reading all the information he could gather ever since he located Cait Sith in a quiet corner somewhere in Highwind. Thanks to the yellow pieces of notes stuck to the documents by his own scientists, he was able to somewhat grasp a vague idea on what sort of language were the documents were written in.

Reeve was sure without the brightly colored notes, he would have been in the middle of tearing his hair out while trying to just read the damn thing.

Dark eyes opened once more.

A pen tapped against the wooden surface of his desk.

The fact that Sephiroth’s masamune was still being kept in Junon made him feel uneasy. It didn’t really surprise him when Cloud did not ask him to destroy the sword or even request to see it. But it was just rather unnerving to know that the sword that made his life hell was under his possession.

‘Not possession,’ Reeve corrected himself, ‘I am just guarding it for a while until…its owner wants it back?’

A long pause.

If Sephiroth turned into his evil self once more and demanded for his masamune, there would not be much Reeve could do to prevent it from happening. But if that did occur, he was sure as hell going to put his life on the line to preventing it from happening. After the repairs on Highwind were done, he didn’t know where would the group be heading. Hojo did a very good job in hiding whatever mischief he was plotting. There were no clues or leads that they could follow. The mad scientist had stolen most of the information they had. They were left high and dry. Try as he might, Reeve was pretty sure he wasn’t able to see what was about to happen next.

A faint smile appeared on the tired man’s face as he leaned back against his chair.

“We will see what happens,” the President murmured under his breath before heaving a sigh.

Besides, he was lousy at predicting the future.

With aloud sigh, he pushed his attention back onto the documents sitting in front of him. Reeve hoped that there was something in that pile that would help them to understand what the hell was going on.

The President of Shinra stared back at the ungodly lump of papers and at the drunken looking handwriting again.

One hand picked up another sheet.

One clump of numbers over on the right told him that some sort of blood type was used. Somewhere in the middle of paper were a few hastily scribbled notes on some unknown machine. Another clump of numbers with a few words riddled in looked like some form of code. The only thing that kept Reeve’s nerves jittery were the massive amount of statistics that seemed to keep on multiplying. Again the usage of mako was astounding.

“Something big,” Reeve muttered to himself while taking another glance at the document, “Huge…it has to be near a reactor to be able to draw out such big amounts of mako…”

A tiny sentence caught the man’s eye.

**A946_3CF23**

A distant bell rang in Reeve head. He had seen this code before somewhere.

“Where? Where? In Shinra?”

He had wondered idly if it was a good thing or a bad thing some of the documents they found in Nibelhiem was with Cloud therefore not taken away by Hojo. Even some 5-year-olds’ handwriting were much more understandable compared to this one. Carefully he jotted down the code on a blank piece of paper.

Dark eyes squinted at the pile in front of him before shutting close again. Without the help of sight, Reeve’s hand expertly found its way to the nearest phone on his desk.

“Reeve here. See if you can find anything in the mako records with a serial code A946_3CF23.”

The receiver dropped back onto the handset with a loud click. Quickly, he made a mental note to ask Cloud if he had the faintest notion on what the hell was an A946_3CF23.

His free hand groped around in his drawer for a painkiller.

 The bunch of documents was giving him a headache.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 steps that would lead to what could be called his own private hell.

There was a certain time in your life when you just knew that the gods were laughing at you. And right now, Cloud was absolutely sure the gods were rolling on the floor while laughing at his plight.

Hysterically.

All he could hope was that he would get out of this miss which he unwittingly gotten himself into with at least a shred of dignity.

And those gods would suffer a stitch on their sides for a handful of days.

Just 3 steps.

The line in front of the gondola was fairly long. People were chattering excitedly while they leaned against the gold railings, waiting for their turn. The gigantic machine gave a tired protest as a wooden carriage stopped in front of the line. The door opened and a pair of giggling teenagers appeared. There was a suspicious red stain on the boy’s cheek that looked remarkably like lipstick. Yet another pair of young adults hopped into the small-enclosed space.

3…

Cloud tried not to think of anything as he allowed his feet to take the 3 steps that would take him to the front of the line. 

There were several times in his life when he ardently wished that the ground would just swallow him up whole. He could remember that fateful day when he stumbled into Zack’s room while the older man was sleeping butt-naked, he felt like vanishing into thing air. For a month, Zack had wondered why did Cloud’s face turn a complete shade of red whenever they met.

But on the whole, there weren’t many times Cloud found himself in a terribly embarrassing situation that he couldn’t control.

Right now, Cloud just wanted to turn into a puddle of water.

“So, you are with him eh?”

The blonde ex-trooper blinked and glanced at the source of the voice. The man behind the controls smirked knowingly and winked. “No worries, the gondola is always best for some private time.”

No, Cloud wanted to melt into a puddle of water then vaporize into the air and never to be seen again.

Ever.

“Good looking lad, ain’t he,” the man continued jerking his chin at Sephiroth’s direction. He then grinned at Cloud, seeing the flushed cheeks on the blonde’s face. “Aw, ain’t no need to be shy now. Ol Tom has seen more than you know. Just make sure you don’t get too distracted to enjoy the sights ere.”

Check that, Cloud wanted to die.

Right now.

The blonde inanely stared at the long drop at the edge of the platform, wondering what Sephiroth would think if he just hurled himself to his doom.

Unfortunately another wooden carriage appeared cutting off Cloud’s route to a dramatic death.

“Up you get,” the man, whom Cloud presumed his name was Tom, grinned widely as he opened the carriage door with a flourish.

Numbly, the ex-trooper got into the small wooden enclosure; feeling it swayed a little under his weight. Cloud then sat, pressing himself as near as possible to the wall. The floor moved again as Sephiroth entered. The slightest brush of the cotton material that made up Sephiroth’s trousers on his hand caused Cloud’s eyes to widen. He swallowed down a panicked laugh that was bubbling up his throat when he realized how small the carriage actually was.

‘This is really not a good idea.’

For in instant, the blonde rattled around with the idea of pleading claustrophobic or even the insane notion of fearing heights.  

Then he paused, weighing which situation would be more embarrassing; the knowing wink of the man standing outside and the odd stares from the general public or the barely an inch apart space he was sharing with the silent man.

Unfortunately, his decision came a little too late.

Innocent Tom, who had not seemed to notice Cloud’s discomfort (or had thought it was from jittery nerves…first time dates, you know?), gave them both a jaunty salute before closing the small door. There was the smooth sound of engines being started up again while the carriage began its journey heading away from the platform.

Cloud offered Sephiroth a tiny smile; tightly pulling back all the nervous energy that was accumulating in his head for some unknown reason.

There was a stretched of silence.

Green eyes regarded the blonde sitting in front of him.

“Cloud?” extremely calm.

“Yes?” a pitch higher and it would have been considered a squeak. Cloud winced.

“How did we meet?”

For an instant, the blonde ex-trooper forgot all about his nervousness as his mind concentrated on recalling the answer for Sephiroth’s question. While searching for the memory, Cloud felt rather astounded at all the images of the past, which he managed to collect throughout the few days. Memories, which he once feared that he had lost, came back like mists of the night giving way to the sun.

A smile of triumph appeared on Cloud’s face as he managed to fish out the one he was looking for.

He paused.

Reviewed the memory.

He blinked.

He glanced at the patiently waiting Sephiroth.

He paused.

He reviewed the memory once more.

He blinked again.

‘I am so doomed.’


The end of Part 3 of Chapter 3

NOTE TO ALL READERS

Please be noted that the story takes place 6 months after the game. There is also a YAOI content. So to all readers who do not approve to such pairing or dislike the idea, do not proceed reading. The authors will not entertain any flames or complains concerning the yaoi pairing/pairings involved in the fanfic.

Thankyou