Futile Dreams

By Mouse-chan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: All the characters used in this fanfic are the sole property of Sunrise and Bandai. The characters are used without permission. The fanfic below does not receive any profit of any kind and made only for personal entertainment. Original portion of the fiction included here is considered to be the sole property and copyrighted to the author

WARNING: Relena lovers are asked to not read this fanfic because it is based on her ignorance on reality. To those who will continue reading, please do not email mouse-chan saying that Relena is oh-so-wonderful cause mouse-chan would never think that is true. Slight, slight yaoi implications if you know where to look.

Any comments can be sent to mouse-chan at cheese_factory@hotmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your mind,

You are the queen,

The pillar of truth and goodness,

Couples danced in time of the waltz that flows out from the orchestra. The sweetness of the flute blends with the haunting tones of the violin. Graceful footsteps skim the floors turning the music into a movement. The rustle of silk gowns discreetly filled the air while mindless conversations were made at the edges of the dance floor.

In the middle of the crowd, a young lady in a white dress talks to an elderly man. Her long blonde hair pulled carefully away from her youthful face. The smooth untouched skin told of her tender age. Although it entirely contradicts the manner she exhibits in the conversation she was attending to. She spoke with an air of confidence and experience as though she was as old as her companion.

You hold in your hand,

Innocence and purity never-ending,

A young man interrupts the conversation. His hand held out for hers. Relena smiles and allows him to lead her out into the dance floor. From a leader, her attitude swiftly changes to a teenage girl.

The music in the background drowns out the rest of the crowd.

Living in a kingdom where,

Red petals travel in the whispers of the wind,

And the sky remains forever blue,

The sun shone brilliantly on the green field. Blades of grass bends slightly in the breeze. The lake, still like a piece of clear glass, reflected the blue skies. It looked almost like the water had captured a lost part of the sky and kept it beneath the smooth liquid.

Relena laughed as she sat on a swing that hung from a tall tree.

The large branches allowed peeks of sunlight to splash delightfully through the leaves. Wind toyed with the greenery causing the golden light to scatter like a thousand of fireflies. Red flowers dropped from their perches, floating towards the ground. Petals gently fell like soft feathers drifting to the ground.

Your knight,

You king,

Would come in his shinning armor,

To take your hand,

A youth walks through the meadow. His dark hair, a contrast with the sunny scenery, dropped in heavy bangs against his forehead. Intense blue eyes swept through the area, missing nothing.

Relena stops and yells his name.

Her arm waves frantically as she called for him. Yet his stride it did not slow down. He did not even acknowledge her presence with the slightest nod of his head. The boy continues through the field until he disappears into the far end of the meadow.

Relena sighs dreamily, not hurt at the fact that he did not wave back. The swing moves back and forth.

You dream of the 'happily ever after',

Lace with silk wove its complex patterns over the long gown. Delicate embroideries decorated the sides. The tiny stiches told on how much hard work was placed in the dress. Pure whiteness washed through the cloth while the wearer's blonde hair increased its loveliness.

Relena stared at herself in the mirror. Her hair was pushed up in an elegant twist causing her face to look a little more grown up. A light mask of power was applied to her face and her lips gleamed crimson.

She smiled.

Her little spin of rapture made the layers of skirts to billow. Her cheeks pinked like a bride's.

Silly little girl,

Your dreams are in shambles,

Relena wakes from her bed.

There were gunshots coming from outside of her room. Quickly she gets up, spilling the blankets onto the floor. Her feet makes their way towards the windows regardless of the danger. Fingers pushed away the lace curtains from the cold glass.

She peers outside and gasps at what she sees.

The petals on the ground,

Is the blooms of blood,

Outside hundreds of men were involved in a massive bloodshed. Soldiers threw themselves mindlessly at each other. Bullets embedded themselves deep into flesh and bone. Blood stained the earth as bodies fell lifelessly to embrace the ground. Mobile suits clashed against metal. Strained shouts of command rang out while the whine of metal broke out.

Relena backed away from the window, terrified.

The skies are dark,

And fires burning,

A loud crash exploded from one of the ends of the mansion. Soon cries of 'fire' made their way into the girl's ears. Smoke darkened the sky while the heat increased dramatically. It made breathing difficult. The scene made breathing difficult.

Relena shook her head in denial.

Her hand moved to strike something in order to release her frustration. Flesh slams against the hard wooden desk. It stung making her eyes water in pain. A paper flutters to the ground. Blue eyes follow it until it reaches the floor.

There is no peace,

She reads the words in the dim light. Gritting her teeth, Relena recognizes the peace treaty that she had just handed to the colony. Her speech, her talks, they are meant nothing.

The door breaks open.

Noin rushes into the room, telling her that they needed to evacuate immediately. It was safer to return to earth. Relena refuses with a shake of her blonde hair. She spoke of a dream that perhaps she could stay and maybe convince the fighting soldiers that violence was not needed. Her tone stubborn but her words were like a child's idea.

The elder women grabbed at the girl's shoulders and forces her out of the building. A shadow fell onto the duo causing them to look up.

The massive gundam towered over them, cold and unfeeling. Blue energy blade that could easily sliced through metal was securely held in its metal grasp. The blade slid easily through a mobile suit without any effort.

Your knight is an angel only to death,

His smile is given to another,

Relena yelled out for the dark haired boy to stop.

A heart-rending wail rang out before a mobile suit burst into flames. The Wing Gundam stood there passively. The girl waved and smiled thinking that he had heard her after all. Then a sudden movement caught her attention.

A longhaired boy appeared from one of the buildings. His foot flew out to hit the soldier that was chasing him squarely on the neck. A sickening sound trickled into the air. The longhaired boy paid no notice, only halting to pick up the dead soldier's gun. He straightened and signaled to Wing Gundam. The large Gundam's hand opened as though it was offering something to the longhaired boy.

Without a moment of hesitation, the boy leaped onto the outstretched palm of the machine.

There was a subtle implication in the exchange which Relena managed to make out. Her mind screamed that -she- was supposed to be the one he was snatching away to safety not the other boy. She took a step towards the Gundam but was stopped by Noin.

While the key to his heart was never yours,

You still wish for the fairy tale ending,

As the plane made its way to earth, Relena sat on her seat. Her arms wrapped around her waist. Blue eyes clouded while she explained countless of reasons why he did not come to her as her knight.

"No, he loves me," she whispers, "he must"

Silly little girl,

Open your eyes,

Can't you see that the dream has already ended?

~OWARI~